Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

mcremata
By mcremata,
in

I'm searching for 2 rooms in New York. - Dates 4/18 - 4/23:

Been trying to follow the guidelines and examples I've read here, but not having any luck. Began bidding yesterday:

$200 MTW

$210 MTW, MTC

$215 MTW, MTC, MTS

today I tried again starting lower:

$110 MT

$115 MTW, MTC

$120 MTW, MTC, MTS

$125

$130

$135

$140

$145

$150

not getting anywhere. any ideas? would like to be in midtown, ideally midtown west, but i'm flexible. need 2 rooms. would like each room to stay under $180. thanks for any help!

You'll want to understand how to rebid on priceline, as your method above isn't the best. Read this thread to learn how to find the 2 free rebid areas in NYC that don't have any 4* properties. Once you've found them by following the directions, please post their names.

Also, would you be willing to split your bid into a 3 night stay and a 2 night stay? One of our recommended hotels (the Beekman Tower) is available for your first 3 nights around $188 through Easyclicktravel.

i'm not sure what i'll do if i can't get something accepted at my target of under $180. it's true that i already was rejected having gone upto $215. The Beekman is a possibility (thanks for the tip!), although it is a bit out of my target area. another possibiliity is millennium broadway, which i found for $249.

i re-read the thread you recommended, and i think i've got the concept down. as you requested, here's the list:

dowtown soho 4*

mte 5*

mts 4*

mtw 4*

upper east 3*

upper midtown 4*

upper west side 2.5*

i will try to re-bid utilizing the techinique of re-bidding within areas that don't have 4 stars or higher and see where it gets me. if you have any tips, please share. thanks so much. i've already learned a great deal!

if by "splitting the stay" you mean staying a few days at one hotel and then moving, i suppose so. it's not ideal. one of the party is elderly and i'm sure i won't be too popular if i have everyone make a hotel move mid-trip ;-), but it is a possibility i would consider if it would mean a substantial savings. prices for these dates seem higher than normal (4/18 - 4/23).

i worked the technique above last night to no avail. i will try again today and hope for success. i'm encouraged by others who have found deals like hilton times square the week prior to my stay about $130. something like that would be fantastic.

thanks for your help and of course any tips are appreciated!

Rates are date dependent, so a property could go for $140 one day and $240 the next. It's all calculated on the hotel's expected capacity. Also, a number of properties in MTE are fairly close to the MTW area, and are sometimes cheaper than its counterparts in MTW.

So which areas do you want to try? MTW? MTS? UM-CPS? MTE?

You may want to try the following for your entire stay. If you have questions, ask BEFORE bidding. :)

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone1 (UES)...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $150.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $150.

Select 4* UM-CPS...

Select 4* UM-CPS and re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $150.

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1 (UES)...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $165.

Select 4* MTW and UM-CPS...

Bid $165.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM-CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1 (UES)...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $180.

i suppose the beekman is looking like the best alternative, although if anyone hears of or finds success for less than $225 for a 4* closer to the theater district, please share. rates in the $130's for hotels like hilton times sqare (as some here have found) the week prior to my stay would have been ideal. it seems that the these dates are more costly than the week prior or following.

if you think i might have success splitting my stay, i'll try that before proceeding to the beekman. if splitting is the way to go, any ideas on which dates to split to start?

again, this is the ideal - max at $225

4/18 - 4/23

4*

1st choice mtw

2nd choice mte

3rd choice Upper Midtown - Central Park South

If you split the stay I would try the "add a nite" feature that is frequently in your confirmation e-mail. That way if you get a deal on part of the stay you may have to only pay full price or close for 1-2 nights and not have to move to another hotel. Try looking at the rates for the popular hotels based on individual nights to try to isolate the problem (higher rate) nights.

My 2 cents....

oh dear, i hope that's not the case and that the beekman is still an option. when i check lastminutetravel.com it is still showing up as an option at $188, although it remains and "on request" hotel. do you know something more?

i still prefer something closer to the theater district, as i mentioned earlier:

again, this is the ideal - max at $225

4/18 - 4/23

4*

1st choice mtw

2nd choice mte

3rd choice Upper Midtown - Central Park South

thanks for all the help so far and any further advise you are able to offer. i am very appreciative and using the savingsbarn link for my reservation attemtps.

also...

i just re-bid the following tonight and was rejected:

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $150.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $150.

Select 4* UM-CPS...

Select 4* UM-CPS and re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $150.

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $165.

Select 4* MTW and UM-CPS...

Bid $165.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM-CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1 (UES)...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone2 (UWS)...

Bid $195.

Regarding EasyClickTravel "on request" (vs. Available)

On Request:

ECT has sold their allotment of rooms at their contracted price but will contact the hotle to see if they can get additional rooms at their previously negotiated price

Available:

ECT owns inventory and can be booked/confirmed immediately

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

also, please share any thoughts you have on why i'm having difficulty getting my bid accepted. is there a certain night that is the problem? is the whole week bad? any input on what i can do to increase my bids being accepted are appreciated. i've bid upto $215 and getting nowhere. thanks again.

yes, thanks, but it has read "On Request" since it was first suggested that the Beekman had rooms at $188. therefore, i was wondering if something had changed that you all knew about that i did not.

Next to "On Request" is a link to view the details. Before, the first 3 nights were available and the last 2 were on request, making your dates show "On Request." Now, only April 19 & 20 are available.

Currently, Hotwire is showing a 4* in MTE (Restaurant, Fitness, Tennis, Business) around $190/night for your entire stay. It appears to be the Intercontinental The Barclay, which is a few blocks from Grand Central and a short walk to Times Square.

If you want to try for this on Priceline, I'd try:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $170.

If this doesn't work, you can either jump on the hotwire price or ask for another priceline strategy. :)

thank you so much. i just tried the priceline strategy you suggested and finally after what seems like forever got an acceptance. i would not have been able to do it without your help and i appreciate it very, very much. see below:

Your Price Has Been Accepted

Congratulations, you got your price of $180 for a 4-star hotel room.

Intercontinental The Barclay

yes, it is for:

2 rooms

5 nights

tuesday 4/18 - sunday 4/23

$180 per night. per room

intercontinental barclay

i bid $170 and was rejected and then bid $180 and was accepted. thanks again. this is a wonderful resource and i'm very grateful to have found you. fyi, i accessed priceline using savingsbarn.com.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]