Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Jackson Hole (Targhee) Grand Targhee Resort

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

As veteran bidders know, Priceline tends to make urban hotels quite affordable, but is usually of little help when you're out "in the boonies." Targhee is an obvious exception to that rule.

This place is REALLY remote. It's part of the Jackson Hole, WY bidding area but it's about 35 miles northwest of town (you have to go through Idaho to get there). That was OK for me, because I'll be arriving from Idaho, but folks visiting Jackson Hole or Grand Teton Nat'l Park have to realize that it's on the other side of the mountain from the main tourist region, and there's no road across the Tetons.

This is the lowest price I've seen accepted for this hotel. That may be because mid-June is still considered shoulder season and the slightly higher published summer rates haven't kicked in yet. So I obviously don't know if you could get this rate for July or August. $36 should be rock bottom because I initially bid $35 and got a message to rebid for $9 more. I just waited a day and went up a buck.

Targhee seems to be your typical beautiful western ski resort that makes an effort to attract a summer crowd with activities and lower prices. Not sure if they also offer 2-star rooms, but they house the 2 1/2 star guests in the Teewinot Lodge, which is their upgraded facility (the Targhee Lodge is significantly cheaper than Teewinot when booked direct).

As an FYI, I am also going to spend some time in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, and this hotel is really not adequately situated to see the Park (more than an hour's drive). I was willing to stay in Jackson itself for that visit (Jackson is 20 minutes south of the park), but hotel prices in Jackson are extremely expensive. I bid on Priceline up to $75 for a 3 star and $55 for a 2 star in Jackson/Teton Village with no success. Above those prices, it makes more sense for me to stay at an "official" Grand Teton Park lodge (where the gov't sets the maximum rates). The "best value" resort in the park appears to be Colter Bay Village, and cabins cost $95 and up. Painfully more than Targhee on Priceline, but significantly cheaper than non-opaque rates in Jackson Hole. Since Colter Bay charges a $15 cancellation fee and the odds are low that any better value will spring up in Jackson Hole on priceline, my Wyoming bidding is now complete. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]