Priceline Hotel: Hotel bidding vs. hotwire

akimbe
By akimbe,
in

I could use some help advise from Vegas Veterans. My family is planning a trip to Vegas, arriving Nov. 27 and departing Dec. 1(4 nts). I have been bidding on 5*(Venetian) for a week or so when I saw rooms going for $79. I have bid up to $110.00 without success. Hotwire list this as $177 per night so I assume my bid is too low.

How much might I expect to pay for this hotel? Do you think rates may decrease as the dates draw nearer?

I also bid some 4* tonight up to $85 and was rejected. Please note that I avoided rebids that would but would allow me to score in any other zone besides the Las Vegas Strip Area. I would really like to stay at the MGM...rates on their site are $120.00 average for the nights in question so the $137 rate on hotwire really isn't a savings. Do hotwire rates drop as well as the date in question draws near?

Thanks for your help!

kim

Welcome to BetterBidding!

One of the problems with this bid is that there is a major rate change during your stay... the first 3 nites are expensive compared to the last nite which is very low. If you'd be willing to change hotels during your stay, i'm fairly confident you could get the Venetian for the last nite of your stay for under $100 (if bidding this nite individually and changing hotels once during your stay is an option let me know and i'll supply a bidding strategy).

You may want to give this thread a read: Should I Split My (longer stay) Bid

It's also very rare to see the Venetian come up with very low rates for weekend dates, unless it is a very slow time in Vegas. Unfortunately for your plans, a notriously slow season starts the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

Although your 4 nite stay at the MGM averages out to $120/nite, you'll see the first 3 nites average out to $140/nite and the last nite is $60/nite. Double check the MGM's cancellation policy (it's probably no penalty if cancelled within 3 days of arrival but check to make sure). If that's the case, i'd reserve the 4 nites now and see if rates come down as your dates draw closer OR I'd bid for the Venetian now for the last nite and if successful reserve the other 3 nites directly with the MGM and then see if i can beat the rates for those 3 nites between now and check-in.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay I booked the 4 nights directly with the MGM hotel at $119 per night, Emerald Tower($523.00 total).This is cancelable within 48 hours before check-in. I understand I can monitor the hotel site to see if rates drop and will do so. If I could get the Venetian for less through Priceline I will continue to try that option as well.

I was wondering though... do you think my teens 13,15 would prefer one over the other. It seems a shame to not take advantage of a good deal on the Venetian since it is a 5*. Could anyone compare the hotels for me?

Do you think it is realistic that I can score the Venetian through Priceline for less than Iam currently planning to spend at the MGM?

Thanks so much for the advise!

kim

Two entirely different hotels with different personalities:

The MGM is more kids oriented (but perhaps geared to kids a little younger than your teens) and a HUGE hotel... it can take a looong time to get from one part of the hotel to the other. Pool area is nicer than the Venetians and there is a 'lions den' that is a good attraction for them to watch.

The Venetian is much more classy (ok, some say cheesy, but i think it's nice) and more adult oriented. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are HUGE! The pool area is nice, but more plain and not as elaborate as the MGM. Neither location is bad, but my personal preference is for the area around the Venetian. If staying at "The V", the Mirage is right across the street and a good place for your kids to see 'free attractions'.

Even though the MGM is more kids oriented, i personally prefer the Venetian, even for those traveling with children (unless the children are very young, say under 10 years old). The rooms at the V are MUCH larger and can better accomodate a family, i prefer the location, and the MGM is just too big for my tastes (if you slept in a different hotel room a nite at the MGM it would take you something like 12 or 13 years to have slept in them all).

However, given the weekend nites in your stay and slow season not starting until the following week, it's possible but i don't think it's probable that you'll ultimately get the Venetian at an ultra-low rate. :) (at least not for the weekend nites of your stay)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Given the weekend nites in your stay and slow season not starting until the following week, it's possible but i don't think it's probable that you'll ultimately get the Venetian at an ultra-low rate. :) (at least not for the weekend nites of your stay)

As of now i'm doubtful you'll be successful at under $100 (or even under $119), but as i've often said before, Vegas is like no other hotel market in the world and rates often change fast.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]