Priceline Hotel: 4* San Jose (Sunnyvale-Sanata Clara) Hilton Santa Clara

nvherron
By nvherron,
in

Bid up to $75 on 4-star San Jose using free re-bids, and was unsuccessful.

Started 4-star in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale zone at $45, and got the Hilton Santa Clara the first time. This hotel comes up consistently at $45 on the weekends in this zone, so I knew not to start higher. I've never been successful less than $45, so I didn't try it this time. Kind of in a hurry to go to bed. Who knows, maybe I over paid. :)

This hotel really isn't a 4-star in my book, but it's a very good 3-star. And you certainly cannot complain at $45! Maybe the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara will come up one day in the 4-star segment. Thanks BetterBidding.com

Probably not, but you may have saved a few more bucks. I don't know this for fact, but I would guess Priceline books the cheapest available 4-star and pockets the difference.

For instance, if you offer $65 and the Hilton is selling to Priceline for $55 and the Hyatt for $53, they will give you the Hyatt every single time until they've used up all their rooms. And they pocket the extra $2. I don't know it for fact, it's just a theory...but they'd be stupid not to.

To back up my theory on it, I see that historically on this board and TOBB that which hotel that you win seems to happen in waves. I believe that you will see Hyatt come up over and over again in Santa Clara for a given night, until PL runs out of their allotment and then you'd see the Hilton come up. And it could happen vice versa, too. I think they give you the hotel that gives them the greatest profit...period. And who can fault them for that? In your case, the Hyatt and Hilton are perfectly acceptable properties in Santa Clara, so $65 is a fair price for either one.

But in this stay at the Hilton Santa Clara, I got the folio for PL at check out and my rate was lower than PL's rate. This is a first for me, but I plan to post it another location. Thanks for the post.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]