any suggestions for one way tkt from Las vegas to Detroit on 4/06/06

truespartan
By truespartan,
in

One way fares aren't the bear they used to be in the US, but unfortunately we no longer have an oversupply of domestic airline seats. This means that on popular routes you will sometimes have to pay high fares if you don't book months in advance. That seems to be true in your particular situation. LAS-DTW is not a high fare market, but all the cheap seats are gone that day. Your choices are either pay the fare (about $260, not insane), fly another day that week (like Thursday), or try to find a reasonable fare to a nearby city and rent a car one way (probably won't save money, but it's possible).

Theoretically, you could travel for about $100 one way from Vegas to Detroit. But that's pretty theoretical at the moment with only 2 weeks advance notice in high season. The two "discount" airlines that dominate Vegas travel -- Southwest and America West (now officially USAirways) have been raising fares like crazy of late because demand exceeds supply, and they've decided to make some money.

Obviously, the closer you get to "midweek" the cheaper a Vegas ticket is likely to be. I would punch your possible days into Kayak.com -- and then double check the results by searching Southwest.com, americawest.com and spiritair.com -- and decide which flight works best for you balancing convenience vs. price. I would also buy it sooner rather than later, because the cheaper seats will keep selling out. My guess is that it will be difficult to find something much below $172 at this point -- especially on a nonstop -- but you never know for sure.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]