Some Hotwire Deals Looking Like Clickbait - Is that the plan?

Nubiwan
By Nubiwan,
in

September 17th, 2020 Hotwire Issue - Price bumped higher for standard rate hotels.

I am getting this for every single "standard rate" room in a hotel for St Johns, NL, specifically a Doubletree Hilton.  When I click to book, I get two options for every room, a cheap rate, and a reduced rate.  No matter what I click, I get the same "we hate when this happens" message.  I tried a few discount rooms in the city on Hotwire, and same result.  Why bother?  Not a great business model. 

I tried 2 -3 different browsers, and also tried to book on my IPAD.   Same result.  So not my cookies, etc.  

"We hate it when this happens...

The price of your trip has changed from $90.36 to CAD 119.00 average per night. Rates can change frequently. Book now to lock in this price."  Plus taxes

"We hate it when this happens...

The price of your trip has changed from $83.26 to CAD 109.65 average per night. Rates can change frequently. Book now to lock in this price."

I can book at the hotel website direct for $99.  WTF?

So, the issue is that the prices I see being displayed in $CAD are actually $US rates, but I am trying to buy in $CAD.  It doesnt let me.  This is the same across the board for Hotwire, it appears.  

I can get my deal, but In $US, which is still (ironically) higher than the posted hotel rate.  I'm off to Booking.com, or direct to the hotel.

13 hours ago, Nubiwan said:

the issue is that the prices I see being displayed in $CAD are actually $US rates

Yup, i see you figured out the issue... there is something wrong with HOTWIRE's currency selector and although it indicates the rates are in CAD currency, the numerical value is in USD; once you get to the check-out page the system double-checks the price vs. availability, realizes the price shown can't be booked, and adjust the price accordingly.

I'll have a look in the morning and if the issue still persists i'll bring it to their attention.

Thanks for the post.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Looks like the issue still exists, although i will note that if you start your search directly at HOTWIRE the CAD prices are correct (within a few dollars) within the search results page.  Once you click an offer the price shows as lower (using the USD numerical value but still with the CAD currency designation)... then when you click to the detail page the 'We hate it when this happens...' message appears with the correct CAD amount.

As a side note, this reminded me of my first travel to Europe 30+ years ago.  The locally currency exchange rate was 1 = 1.5USD.  I remember the numerical prices of everything was the same... but in reality was 50% more expensive than in the US.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I shouldn't have to work around to get the correct service in 2020.  If it's advertised in $CAD and they can't sell it, then whats the point?  Why waste people's time?

frankly surprised the lack of value both Hotwire and Priceline can get these days, as I am certain, in Canada at least, that there is a huge amount of hotel room inventory sitting vacant.  Seems to me you get better offers when they are fighting for your business.

i ended up booking a private inn that will discount rooms the closer you get to the date, which for me is this weekend.  I have often found Hotwire and Priceline to be frustrating, and hardly that much of a deal, considering the restrictions of buying through them.

great if you are not familiar with the towns landscape, but if you are familiar with hotels, and cities, then you're sometimes better off finding your own deal.

Sometimes things break... including websites. 

As technology evolves and customers want more features from websites, updates (some minor / some major) are needed, and unfortunately sometimes adding one feature has unintended consequences.  There is usually quite a bit of QA testing that goes on, but as each person uses a website slightly differently, it's nearly impossible to account for every possible scenario before releasing an update.

I can assure you that PRICELINE / HOTWIRE both want to sell you a hotel room, make it as easy as possible to book, and have the overall purchase experience be positive.  It may take a few days for them to get around to it, but now that they are aware of the issue i'm sure it will be fixed soon.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend away from home.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]