Priceline Hotel: Bidding assistance for NMA?

diabolicNYC
By diabolicNYC,
in

Hi, I'm looking for a bidding strategy for NMA (or the loop, if necessary) for 4/10-4/12 in a 4* hotel. I know the free zones are Skokie and Midway, and comparable hotels in the area from the list are going for $280-400, if available at all. Can anyone guide me toward a suitable bidding strategy? Thanks in advance.

Oddly, there is a 3* North Michigan Ave/Gold Coast/Water Tower showing up for $100 on Hotwire.com. I've never seen it before on the service - it has the amenities restaurant/fitness/spa/golf nearby/business/tennis nearby/hi-speed internet. The hotwire rate is $100....but it says the retail price is a whopping $600. While it's not four*, it may be worth considering for the price.

I would think, given the rates (and someone here will hopefully correct me if wrong) that a starting bid for 4* River North/NMA (if Priceline even has inventory, given the busy dates) would have to be in the neighborhood of $125.

Here are my own thoughts:

1) what is your maximum bid? (if it's not realistic/likely for these dates then that 3* on Hotiwre becomes a realistic option)

2) do you have a back-up reservation

3) while lowballing is usually a good option, i wouldn't lowball if that 3* is a real possibility as while you're waiting for 24 hours to elapse that hotwire offer (which seems like a good deal given the rates you've quoted above) coudl disappear, leaving you with nothing reasonably priced

The 3* Hotwire hotel may be a new set of amenities for the Tremont.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Realistically I'd like to bid no more than $100/night(if possible), and no, I don't have a backup(yet)...I'm going to try a bid tonight as suggested above(through the link, of course) and come back with the results. I think I'm comfortable with bidding for a few more days before settling on a 3* from somewhere.

I don't have much experience with Hotwire so I'm wary of going with them.

I'm doubtful you'll be successful for a 4* for these dates, but this is how i would try...

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone2...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 4* Looop...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone2...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and Loopand re-bid zone2...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Quickbook has a $129 rate for the Congress Plaza Hotel and it's a "Pay When You Stay" rate so it is cancellable (although i'm not sure how many days before check-in you need to cancel)

I've stayed here before about 5 years ago so it is likely to have changed since then, but at the time it was an older hotel with a really nice lobby. Rooms were fairly basic and bare but served their purpose (the opinion of others is similar to the Tremont.). A location closer to North Michigan Ave (this hotel is on South Michigan Ave) would be better fro nightlife, restaurants, shopping, etc (we were there for a wedding) but at least this gives you another option for a back-up.

If the above Hotwire hotel is indeed the Tremont, one of our users wrote this review and actually likes the hotel.

The workers of the Congress have been on strike for the last few years.

You can read about the whole situation here: http://www.congresshotelstrike.info/

I haven't stayed at the Tremont myself, but from the outside, it doesn't look too bad if you just want someplace to sleep. I'm seeing something that resembles the Tremont's old listing coming up for other dates, so this may still be something else (Seneca?) Either the Tremont or the Seneca, while not the nicest hotels in the city, are both in top-notch locations.

Thank you for the information on the Congress Plaza, I made a reservation as a backup, some reviews on Tripadvisor are scaring me a bit..

So it looks like my 4* plans are disintegrating...does anyone have a suggestion for a bid strategy for a 3* through priceline? It looks like my only rebid zone is Skokie-Niles-Evanston.

Thanks again!!!!

I would try as follows:

Select 3* NMA...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 3* Loop...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser however you did previously.

Select 3* NMA and Loop...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85.

==================================================================

If the above is rejected, 24 hours later try:

Select 3* NMA...

Select 3* Loop...

Select 3* NMA and Loop...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100.

I don't suppose SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option for this two day stay? If it is post back as i'll have an alternate strategy for you to try... could possibly get the 4* hotel you were originally looking for within your budget (for at least one nite), but you'd have to change hotels during your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]