Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (SoHo - Tribeca) Nomo Soho

oh2btallr2
By oh2btallr2,
in

Hello!

This is my first post, and I was referred to this site by an especially helpful coworker.  I'm excited to try this for the fist time!

My husband and I are traveling on our first kid-free trip in years to NYC.  We'd love to find a 4/5* hotel in Union Square / SoHo areas for around $200 a night.  We'll be in NYC from 8/5 - 8/8.

Free breakfast would be a nice but not necessary amenity.  Walkable proximity to things like subway stops, yummy restaurants, and good coffee would be amazing.

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and a thank you to your co-worker for helping to spread the word! :smile:)

Some info to get you started...

Free Breakfast is not an amenity that is found at 5 star hotels in the US (not that uncommon in Europe, but i can think of maybe 3-4 throughout the entire US that breakfast as a free amenity).

If also considering HOTWIRE i'm seeing the following that seem to meet your criteria (i've included both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS, as HOTWIRE seems to have a bit more inventory/options at the moment, as well as we currently have a 10% off Hotwire Coupon (expires tomorrow)):

(NOTE: HOTWIRE does not have a 'Union Square' zone but is generally covered by the Gramercy Park - Nomad - Flatiron zone)

4* SoHo - Tribeca (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $168/nite with:
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> Frederick hotel is my guess for this one

4* HOTWIRE Gramercy Park - Nomad - Flatiron for $172.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Life Hotel Nomad is my best guess here

4* HOTWIRE Gramercy Park - Nomad - Flatiron for $173.00
Free Internet
Fitness
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Handicapped Parking
==> best guess for this one would be the Avalon Hotel

4.5* HOTWIRE Gramercy Park - Nomad - Flatiron for $177.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Redbury New York is likely for this one

4.5* HOTWIRE SoHo - Tribeca for $193.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Nomo Soho is likely outcome here

4* HOTWIRE SoHo - Tribeca for $209.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
==> Smyth, a Thompson hotel is my guess for this one

4.5* HOTWIRE SoHo - Tribeca for $212.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
Wheelchair Accessible
==> Soho Grand is my best guess for this one

I will add that if you're willing to stay outside of one of the areas above, i would consider this property:

4.5* Madison Square Garden - Convention Area (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $192/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Free Internet in room
Fitness Center
Free Internet in public areas
==> this is consistent with previous reports for the Crowne Plaza HY36 Midtown Manhattan which is a fairly new hotel (about 2 years old maybe) and has been getting excellent reviews.  It is also 2 blocks from Penn Station for easy subway access to multiple subway lines

So with the above noted, you can choose one of these (confirm with us first which one you would like to go for, since there are so many i didn't do our full 'checks / confirmation' for each one, but will do so if there is one in particular that you're interested in)... or you can try bidding on PRICELINE.  If you'd like to try bidding on PRICELINE you won't be able to target/guess as to the hotel you may receive prior to your purchase. 

Also note that if you do want to move forward by bidding on priceline (vs. one of the PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE offers above) we can suggest a strategy for you to follow, but priceline is continuing to move/hide their bidding form, so we have set up the following page for easy access: BiddingForHotelRooms.com

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts as to how you'd like to proceed, or any questions you may have (as i'm very familiar with the NYC area), and we can take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this feedback!

I chose the deal that I wanted (the Hotwire Soho 4.5* for $190ish a night) and got Nomo Soho.  Thank you for all of the help and advice here!  I also used the 10% Hotwire code, and I'm pretty pleased about this entire experience!  Would definitely pass on the recommendation to use this to a friend. 

I'm also excited for the hotel that we were assigned due to its central location in Soho.  I hope the hotel will live up to its name, as I've been warned that hotels in NYC can sometimes be hit-or-miss.  Also, I selected the "any room" option, hoping to maybe get an upgrade (like a king instead of the confirmed queen option).  Is that how it works?

One question I had was resort fees.  They charged one for us, and I understand that is not part of the Hotwire price.  Are resort fees par for course in NYC?  When I did some searching here and by Google, seems like this is a recent addition that was a surprise for some Hotline bookings, but mine was clearly detailed (and also quite expensive!).

Thanks again so much!!

Congratulations on your success!

We're glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that you're happy with the results!  We're happy to help and appreciate your kinds works and helping to spread the word about BetterBidding.com:smile:

You can request a room upgrade upon arrival but as with any booking, it will be 'hit or miss' depending upon a variety of factors... hotel occupancy levels, what types of rooms are available when you check-in, mood of the front desk clerk, etc, etc.  If you are turned down and are only offered a Queen room, and an upgrade is worth it to you, you could also ask 'How about a paid upgrade?' (again, depends upon many different factors)  If offered an upgrade at a certain price, you can then accept, reject, or even try to negotiate it down further.

Unfortunately resort fees are popping-up everywhere these days... 5+ years ago there were only a handful of NYC hotels that had them, currently they are more often than not.  Both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE have been doing a better job and notifying customers ahead of time of the hotel they are about to purchase is going to have a resort fee or not.  While nobody likes to pay resort fees, it's the same resort fee that every guest pays... so at least the fee is easier to swallow given the discounted rate.

A few places near your hotel that you may enjoy:

Kossar's Bialy's

367 Grand St

--> if you can get a bialy here fresh out of the oven (and the 'trick' is to get them right out of the oven) there is none better (if you're not familiar with bialies they are sort of a cousin to a bagel... flatter and a sunken middle (instead of a hole) that usually has a small onion/garlic mixture)

Economy Candy

108 Rivington St

--> large candy shop with lots of nostalgic candy that you haven't seen in a LOOONG time (Marathon bars, candy cigarettes, etc) as well as lots of bulk chocolates and candies by the pound (the dark chocolate covered graham crackers are second to none).  All at excellent prices

Katz's Delicatessen

205 E Houston St

--> NYC institution known best for their pastrami (corned beef a close second) all as overstuffed sandwiches... and although famous on its own merits, it's secondarily famous for the "i'll have what she's having" scene in When Harry Met Sally (i don't know, maybe i'm aging myself :biggrin:)

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Have a great time in NYC, enjoy your stay, and let us know if there are any NYC questions that we may be able to answer to help you get the most from your trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the information, it's very helpful!  I also appreciate the recommendations for nearby food -- looking forward to trying them out!

We are pretty comfortable if we get the standard Queen, but I selected the less definitive version in the hopes to get something a little better based on occupancy.  🙂 Will see how it works out!

For the resort fees -- it sounds like it would also be separate from the price quoted through the hotel website?  Asking because I was a little apprehensive at first because I was definitely interested in staying at Nomo Soho, but the uncertainty around the HotRate was a little nerve-wracking.  The Nomo Soho website advertised a 30% off deal that I was comparing to Hotline and trying to decide which to go to, and if the resort fee was included in this price.  I think if it had been, it would have made it somewhat comparable (Hotline edged it out, especially after using the 10% discount).  If not, then the Hotline price is a clear winner.

Resort fees are almost always on top of the rate shown... regardless of how the hotel is booked.  Although i've never met a guess that likes resort fees, it's easy to see why the hotels like them:

-it makes their hotel appear to be less expensive when comparing prices to other hotels in the area

-if a hotel is offering promotional discount, it's only based upon the room rate, so they are able to collect the full resort fee (ie- it's not discounted like the room rate).  May not be that meaningful for any one guest on a short stay, but multiply that by 200+ rooms in a hotel and it adds up quickly.

An additional advantage of PRICELINE / HOTWIRE in a high tax city such as NYC is that the tax is based upon the discounted rate, so that is additional savings

Have a great trip and let us know if we can be of any further help!:smile:

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]