Priceline Hotel: 4.5* New York (Midtown East) Intercontinental New York Barclay - Newly Renovated

faithincats
By faithincats,
in

Hi! I'm surprising my husband with a 3-night getaway to NYC. It's my first time visiting, and we don't have any plans set in stone yet, so I'm not 100% where to stay. But since it's a short trip, we probably need to be in the city and near transport options. Open to suggestions for sure!

5/2/19-5/5/19 (3 night stay)
2 adults
4* or more stars
$260/nite (or less) including taxes and fees
Somewhere central - maybe Times Square?

I've done bidding on Priceline before, but in smaller cities or cities I was more familiar with. NYC is overwhelming me! Halp?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Some of the best options within your budget:

4* Madison Square Garden - Convention Area (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $197/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Airport Shuttle
Free Internet available
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> Stewart Hotel is my best guess for this one... hotel generally gets good reviews but the real selling point is the location, almost directly across from Penn Station with lots of subway options and an easy 10 minute walk to Times Square

4* Rockefeller Center - Bryant Park (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $201/nite with:
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet available
Free Internet
Fitness Center
==> best guess here would be the CLUB QUARTERS HOTEL TIMES SQUARE - MIDTOWN... nothing terribly fancy but an all around 'solid' hotel

4.5* Midtown East (<-- CLICK HERE and confirm your dates on the landing page) for $202/nite with:
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
==> InterContinental New York Barclay Hotel, another solid choice, fancier than the two options above, recently renovated a few years back and good reviews

4.5* HOTWIRE Empire State Building - Bryant Park for $181.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> The Gotham Hotel, i know less about this property but it's an easy walk to Times Square and near Grand Central for easy subway access to multiple subway lines

Any of the above seem to work well for your needs?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please include the amenities associated with the hotel so we can more easily find the same hotel and also ensure we're researching the correct one.

I assume this is the offer you're referring to:

3* HOTWIRE Empire State Building - Bryant Park for $157.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Hi-Speed Internet
Travel Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
==> Hotel Metro would be my best guess for this one.  I don't know much about this property, seems to be a disconnect between TA reviews (4.5/5.0) and Hotwire satisfaction ratings (a fairly low 65%), but one thing i do notice about this property is that the rooms are fairly small.  This is fairly common for NYC, but standard room size at the Hotel Metro is 161 sq. ft.

There is often (not always, but often enough) a drop in quality between 4* and 3* hotels in NYC, could be for various reasons (including room size as is the case above), but if you're going to lower your star rating i would try to stick with hotels that have a 80% or higher satisfaction rating.  Sticking with hotels that have a higher user review ratings is a good policy at any star rating, but more important as you drop star levels; and while this doesn't guarantee success, it certainly improves the odds that you'll get a decent hotel and not wish you had spent a bit more for something nicer.

Perhaps a better question would be why not The Gotham? or the InterContinental?  With the current Priceline Coupon and Hotwire Coupon promotions that are going on at the moment (see my signature or click these previous links) you're within $10/nite or so of your 'all-in' target budget.  It really comes down to what you look for and how much you 'use' a hotel on vacation... if you're just looking for a bed to sleep in at nite and are out most of the day, then perhaps the lower star rating will work for your needs; but if you like to view the hotel as a 'sanctuary' to come back to at the end of the day to relax, perhaps grab a drink at the bar before bed or before heading out for dinner, then the higher star rating might make it a bit extra special (although i'll forewarn that you shouldn't necessarily expect personalized service at most place in NYC... hotel staff will certainly do their jobs, and do it well, but don't expect to be called by name when you enter/exit the hotel, etc, as the hotels are typically large and just too many people for that)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you wanted and are looking forward to your (surprise) trip to NYC!

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.  If you have any questions about the city that we can further assist with feel free to ask.

Please click the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay and time in NYC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]