Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help for 10/3-10/7

whwanthony
By whwanthony,
in

Hi, I will attend this year Chicago Marathon on 10/7. My family will come with me and we want to stay not too far from Grant Park which is the start and finish point. Here are the info:

• Star rating: 4 and above
  • city and zone: Chicago zone 1 to zone 6
  • travel dates: 10/3 to 10/7
  • room rate per night: $140
  • amenities: nothing special.

Our target rate is $140, but we know it may not be realistic. Please give me your suggested rate. Really appreciate your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Few issues to get started...

How many adults/children do you need accommodations for?  PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, HOTWIRE would still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc) or you can see if any PRICELINE EXPRESS offers show a 'Room Choice' and one of those choices indicates a room with two beds (technically your reservation is still only for double occupancy, but i don't know of anyone who has yet had an issue when a specific room type is booked and that room is designed to accommodate the number of guests in the group)

1 hour ago, whwanthony said:

Chicago zone 1 to zone 6

Please list the zones by PRICELINE name as it avoids confusion in the future when the order of the zones changes based upon new zones being added, removed, or renamed.  Are these the zones you're willing to accept:

Downtown - River North

Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast

Chicago Loop - Grant Park

Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park

McCormick Place - South Loop - Soldier Field

West Loop - Medical District

If these are your acceptable zones, note that the McCormick Place - South Loop - Soldier Field is typically out of the way for the average tourist (and is best for those attending an event at the convention center) but i don't know the marathon route and if you're choosing this location so your family is along the running route; just keep  in mind that if you're doing anything 'touristy' while also in town that this location will be a bit out of the way.

As you suspect, at current rates your budget will not likely be enough, but let's first confirm the zones you're willing to stay in and the number of guests that you need accommodations for, and we'll then have a closer look and give you an idea of a more realistic number that you're likely looking at.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, PRICELINE EXPRESS only guarantees double occupancy/1 bed unless otherwise stated (that the listing offers a "bed choice" option.)

For example, this listing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm that the correct dates of travel are showing after clicking the link below.)

4* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $205
Fitness Center
Business Center
Restaurant
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>> Best guess would be the Claridge House, which is a remodeled former Hotel Indigo in the Gold Coast area. This is at the tip top of the zone, although it is a couple of blocks away from a CTA subway station and a nice trek North to the Lincoln Park zoo if it's a nice day. The issue with this listing though is that there is a bed choice w/king for $267. 

When I search for 2 adults and 1 child on HOTWIRE (which should result in some form of bedding for everyone) I'm seeing:

4* HOTWIRE Theater District - Loop for $235.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==>  Best guess would be the Wyndham Grand Riverfront, which puts you in a far more central spot in the city as a whole, plus if the starting line is in Grant Park, this would not be far.

Unfortunately, this is a busy period and the night before the Marathon is particularly expensive when viewed separately.

I'm very familiar with the city and happy to answer both hotel and city questions.

Thank you for keeping us updated and please let us know if you have any questions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]