PA Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

lwitchel
By lwitchel,
in

This 3* hotel is very large and centrally located on Market Street. Check in was speedy and polite. I'm silver elite (from a credit card) so that may have had a benefit - I was given a room with a lovely view on a high floor.

The rooms in the hotel are quite nice; lush full bedding and a decent bathroom. I put pictures at realhotelphotos.com. Wired Internet access costs extra (I believe $9.95 from noon to noon, but didn't check closely - I used dial up) Local calls are $1, untimed. I think because I'm elite, they removed the charge and I got points for incidentals and credit for the stay towards elite (but not points)

The hotel has a pool and a very large fitness center with a good selection of cardio machines (at least 15 treadmills) and weight training equipment.

I'm staying here again and looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Stayed here for one night with my husband - 4/28/06-4/29/06. Got the room via Priceline for $75. Great, great bargain. Hotel location is fantastic - literally right in the heart of Center City Philadelphia on Market Street and the hotel is attached to the Philly convention center.

Checked in without issue - ended up (somehow, surprisingly!) getting an upgrade to a huge suite, we knew when we opened the DOUBLE exterior doors, we were in for something really nice. Room was complete with a living room with a couch, 2 chairs, a coffee table, 2 end tables, and an entertainment center - a dining room that had a formal cherrywood table and leatherbound chairs with seating for 6 as well as a buffet, there was also a wet bar with a mini fridge and complimentary coffee/tea/bottled water and a really comfortable queen sized bed. 2 double closets with terrycloth robes as well and a separate sink outside the bathroom. It was room #1739. Room also had a great view, 2 huge double windows with a view of Philly. Very clean, and I'm a fanatic about this. Really, an amazing deal given the priceline price!

Hotel has a nice big lobby with a number of dining choices, but unless pressed, I'd steer clear of them and eat at one of the many local restaurants in the area, as there are plenty within the few blocks surrounding the hotel. We ate at El Vez on 13th and Walnut, it is great Mexican food. Also, there is a Starbucks in the lobby, very convenient. I'd recommend skipping the hotel breakfast. Head to the Reading Terminal Market about a block away. However, I did check out room services prices and they seemed rather reasonable for that particular service, given that they were basically the same as the hotel restaurant.

The fitness center was big and well stocked with equipment, but the indoor pool was a little bit of a disappointment, given the size of this hotel (1408 rooms.) Basically just a lap pool with 2 lanes, not good for kids at all. Large whirlpool next to the pool and dry saunas in both the mens/womens respective locker rooms. Seemed to be well-maintained.

We skipped the valet parking at $35/night and self-parked about a block away on 12th Street for $13.

Every single staff member I came into contact with smiled and said hello. I am surprised that this hotel is classified as a 3 star hotel - I definitely think it ranks higher than the Hilton Garden Inn up the street and that is a 3 star as well. While the Hilton is nice, this place is better and classier and I would rate it at least a 3.5 or maybe even a 4 star experience.

I'd go back in a heartbeat and think this may be one of (if not the!) best deals in Philly on Priceline.

• 2 years later...

Stayed here 6/26/08 - 6/27/08 and had a great experience. No mention of Priceline at front desk - they were very nice. Room on high floor but not a great view. The room was fabulous - clean and upscale. The location is the best - we could walk to everything! Took subway down to see a Phillies game - it was so easy and it beat having to park and drive out of that busy ballpark. If you win this like I did for $65, it's a steal !

• 1 year later...

PA Marriott (downtown) 3.5* $69 a night, $44 parking

Parking price was ridiculous with $36 a day plus $7.60 tax. This was a huge dent in our budget for this trip. I had to cut corners in other cities by not having as many sit-down dinners.

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $69.00

Subtotal: $207.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $40.51

Total Charges*: $247.51

Great bathroom and many pillows on the bed. Inside the hotel is what you expect from Marriott and a 3.5* hotel, but the neighborhood around the hotel wasn't the safest when those attending conventions were not in town (weekends).

Hotel located on 12th and Market Street next convention center in city. Staying on a Saturday-Monday night in the summer was interesting. City unsafe Sat/Sun night. Saw no cops. Saw prostitute, drunk and drug dealers (even one shooting up Sunday morning) down the street and on side streets off of Market. Even a homeless man is sitting outside at 12th and Market Street.

Due to this, the hotel should have a complimentary shuttle to places for visitors/tourists.

If you venture from the hotel for food, Hard Rock is across the street is perfect. Walnut street just two city blocks south had a great Japanese restaurant (Aki) along with great chain restaurants (Qdoba, Cosi, Pottybelly).

• 2 years later...

I stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown for two nights in October 2011. Initially, I had been worried about winning this hotel since there were numerous mentions of bedbugs in the reviews. However, I did some research before my trip and found that the entire hotel had been refurbished in 2011.

My stay was thoroughly pleasant. I was given a corner room that had some interesting windows and a nice view of downtown Philadelphia. The room itself was spacious and attractively decorated. The bed had a ton of pillows and a huge, fluffy cover on it. I slept quite well. The bathroom was standard/nice for the class of hotel and I had no complaints. The common areas were clean and tastefully presented, and there looked to be what was quite a nice bar in the center of the lobby, although I did not patronize it. I did eat at the restaurant my first night since the Hard Rock across the street was closed for a private event and had a surprisingly good chicken caesar salad. The Reading Terminal Market across the street made for a great breakfast stop. Although I found no snack vending machines and the prices in the gift shop were insane, there is a convenience store (7/11?) right across the street from the main entrance (where the taxis go, closest to the front desk) for late night snacks.

Parking was not an issue for me since I was playing the tourist in downtown Philly during my short stay before moving on to the Poconos and did not pick up my rental car until I was ready to leave Philadelphia. I didn't miss having one in the slightest as Independence Hall and other attractions in Center City were easily within walking distance. As well, I bought a Philly pass (awesome deal) and the tour trolley that was available to me with it had a stop right at the hotel. I also felt safer than I expected walking around, though I wasn't strolling through Center City at midnight.

Given the insane prices of hotel rooms in downtown Philadelphia, I was incredibly pleased with this booking. The price was good, I was pleased with the value, and the location was absolutely stellar. Front desk staff were always friendly, particularly the kind woman who checked me in after a series of long and frazzling flights to Philly.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]