Priceline Hotel: How can I increase my chances of getting the Sofitel or Hilton Times N

ndkw
By ndkw,
in

Hey there,

First time user...

I'm trying to locate a 4 star hotel, preferably the Sofitel ( and if not a something along or close to Times Square) for June 24- June 26, 2006.

Is there any way of increasing my chances at the Sofitel?

How much should i be bidding and more importantly expecting to pay?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

ndkw

Checking the previous bidding, it seems like i'll have to spend ~$200 for Sofitel.

If it's the Sofitel I end up getting I won't mind paying $180-$200.

I'd also be happy with Hilton Times Square, and if so...according to previous winning bids, I'd start a lot less?

To sum it up, my budget is around $180-200 and my first choice is Sofitel.

Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your choice is irrelevent as you can not choose your favorite property from those that are available. As the link above states, you're bidding on a minimum star rating within a given set of boundaries... it is this flexibility that enables us to receive the deeply discounted rates that you see reported on the board. If we could pick and choose the hotels we want and and get deeply discounted rates, who would book direct anymore?

If you only want the Sofitel or the Hilton you should probably book them directly... if you're able to accept any hotel at your minimum star rating in the given zone then let us know and we can advise how to best proceed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in NYC you have you two re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125.

You can start with the above, but i'll also add you'll likely do better if you could also accept other zones (such as MTE and UM/CPS) as you could then use more advanced bidding strategies by combining zones and gradually increase your bid. I'm not really sure what areas/hotels you're trying to avoid, as NYC is easy enough to get around and for most the MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS should all work out well for the typical visitor.

As i've recently said in another post, many tourists believe that they need a hotel in the Times Square area, but i've yet to find anyone that spends most of their time in NYC there... once you see all the lights you've seen it all and there are better and more interesting places in NYC to see. (i'm not saying that Times Square isn't cool to see, but it's certainly not a place to spend an extended period of time to get a feel for NYC... unless your idea of "New York" is Red Lobster and TGI Fridays :) )

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is what you have already bid:

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $125.

Now proceed as follows:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140.

In 24 hours (assuming you don't want to add UM/CPS)...

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145.

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

Let us know how it goes.

If it were me i would do nothing for 2 weeks... it may just be too early and although it may take a higher bid today, inventory may open up in the next few weeks.

You could also start to add the UM/CPS zone as you're starting to hit prices where that area becomes a legitimate possibilty, but if you don't want to stay in that area than i wouldn't add that zone.

If you would rather 'get this done' we can suggest a strategy to go up another $20 or so, but if it were me i would book a cancellable reservation in the meantime and sit on the sidelines for 2 weeks.

EDIT TO ADD: in looking a bit further i'm 100% certain that it is the Saturday nite that is preventing your success at this point. Saturday nite arrival is usually not a problem, but perhaps it is in this case (or there is something happening in the city that nite that is creating unusual demand). SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID could also be an option, but i'm doubtful you want to do that for a 2 nite stay (nor would i recommend doing so this early before your arrival date)

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]