No credit card

DottieJo
By DottieJo,
in

I'm new to the board, and new to Priceline and Hotwire. I do not use credit cards, and do not have any. This doesn't usually pose a problem, because I can purchase bank (gift) cards from my credit union that are Visa cards, and can be used everywhere that a credit card can be used. However, when playing with Hotwire last night, there was a notice that the hotels in NYC usually will not accept a debit/gift card in replace of a credit card when checking in. They want a credit card to pay for "add-on" charges such as room service, long distance calls, pay-per-view, etc. I don't see the same notice on the Priceline site.

Does anyone have any info on this? I am planning a trip to NYC for my son and I to celebrate his 16th birthday in May, and would really love to stay 2 nights instead of 1. The price I get for the hotel will determine this, and I am seeing much better prices going through these sites.

Thanks! And thank you for a wonderful, helpful travel resource!

Most of those holds that the hotels put on your card stay on the card for 7-14 days. So don't plan on using it at more then one hotel during your trip because the money will be all tied up until the hold expires.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]