Priceline Hotel: 4* New York (Midtown East) W New York

rich00
By rich00,
in

Hello, really appreciate all the info you site has on it!  Been looking around off/on for the last few days and wanted to ask a question.  The info for my trip is

4* or higher (wouldn't mind 3.5 but worried we might get stuck in bunk-beds or shared bathrooms lol)

NYC Times Square/Midtown East/Rockefeller/Central Park So

12/14-12/17

Cost:  Would like to stay in the $500-700 for total stay but could go up $100-200 if it was an amazing place/deal.

Quick question on Name Your Own Price bidding.  Some of the options have minimum guest ratings and others do not.  For those that do not, is there a minimum rating or in theory could you get stuck with something really low?

Thanks!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :biggrin:

If a star rating does not have a minimum star rating, then there is the possibility that you could get stuck with a lesser rated property. I can't recall someone winning something with shared bathrooms on PRICELINE even at low levels - it definitely wouldn't be an issue at the 3.5* level.

Unfortunately, the end of November through around the middle of December is one of the busiest periods of the year. These dates are better than earlier in the month but still on the high side.

If you want to go beyond initial budget:

on PRICELINE EXPRESS (please confirm the correct dates of travel are showing on the detail page after clicking the links below.)

5* Central Park South for $234
Restaurant
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>A guess would be the Viceroy.

Within budget I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS

3.5* Central Park South for $166
Business Center
Restaurant
Airport Shuttle
Fitness Center

>>>Guess would be the Shoreham

4* Midtown East for $167
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be the W New York.

You can also use the promotion in my signature for 5% off PRICELINE EXPRESS

Do any of these possibilities work for your needs this trip?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I appreciate the quick reply!  Ya I saw one data point on the internet where someone got bunk-beds w/ a 3.5 star property on PL.  I would also be surprised if shared bathrooms would come at 3.5 or above rating but to be honest I was surprised to find so many shared bathrooms at properties in the $125+ range when searching non express/NYOP hotels.  It wouldn't bother me so much, but the wife would murder me! :-)

At the moment leaning toward the:

4* Midtown East for $167
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
>>>Guess would be the W New York.

I'm going to keep messing around w/ bids and see if I can get something similar/better....will use your guys' link when I finally do purchase and update my DP (or at least update if I find something outside of PL/HW)

3 hours ago, rich00 said:

I'm going to keep messing around w/ bids and see if I can get something similar/better

If you're main concern is the quality of the hotel and the room type assigned, why bid on PRICELINE which doesn't give you any control or information about the hotel that you will receive... why not move forward with PRICELINE EXPRESS / HOTWIRE where you know a little information about the hotel (sometimes including the room type/configuration) and, with our help, take an educated guess as to what it is that you may likely receive?

By bidding on PRICELINE how do you ensure you get something 'better'?  What exactly is it that you hope to gain by bidding on PRICELINE vs. going with a PRICELINE EXPRESS / HOTWIRE offer?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, i didn't see any comment previously that you were bidding on 4.5* properties, so thought you were bidding at the 4* level.

What has been your maximum bid for a 4.5* up to this point? (and which zones?)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I figured it never hurts to bid at the higher * properties and see what happens, maybe get lucky.  I've been trying to bid on the areas that didn't have the extra hotel fees assuming that I'd have an easier time winning those bids b/c my bid would be higher.  Here is what I've done so far:

Stars       Rating       Area                        Bid           HotelFee            Total

5*               8+        Times Square       $194.00       $0.00                  $723.39

5*               7+          CPark So                                   $221.00

4.5*            8+         Mid East              $165.00                                    $615.81

4.5*            7+          T Sq                                            $86.50

4.5*            8+         Rock                     $143.00        $90.00                $624.21

4.0*             7+       Mid East                                      $86.50

I just started bidding yesterday so haven't exhausted all of the options yet.  The ones w/out bids/totals are the next ones I plan on bidding on.  The PRICELINE EXPRESS for (what is assumed to be) the W would total $597.93 after coupon, for reference.

Keep in mind that the Hotel Fee shown by PRICELINE on the bidding side is a 'worst case scenario'.

For example, when you bid 4* Rock Center, let's assume there are 5 hotels that are 4 star rated in this zone:
Hotel 1: no fee

Hotel 2: no fee

Hotel 3: $5/nite fee

Hotel 4: $15/nite fee

Hotel 5: $30/nite fee

PRICELINE is showing you the highest that the resort fee could be (in this instance, Hotel 5 which is $30 x 3 nites = $90)... if you were to win Hotel 1 or Hotel 2 there would be no hotel fee to pay, and if you were to win Hotel 3 or Hotel 4 the hotel fee would be less than the $90 currently being shown by priceline (it would be $15 or $45, respectively)

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how we can be of further help along the way (as i'm very familiar with NYC)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Oh cool, thanks for the info.  I kind of assumed that but wasn't 100% sure on the hotel fees.  Have you (or anyone you know) ever stayed at The W NY that is the likely express deal?  I always wonder if reviews on nicer hotels are skewed because the people paying full price are disappointed that it wasn't worth $250-300/night or if it really is dated in comparison to more "normal" hotels in other areas.  We are not 5* hotel people and are not above staying at a less than perfect location...its more that I hate paying for something that isn't a great deal/value.

You are correct that many reviews (not just for this hotel) is the result of guests having 'sticker shock' at the hotel prices, so when they finally give in to paying $300+ for a room they are expecting there to be an over the top 'wow' factor and a huge room, but being NYC at that price point all they get is an 'average' hotel and a room that is much smaller than they expect for the price paid.

With the above noted, i have not stayed at this property myself, but a relative did a few years back (maybe 5-7 years ago)... he was impressed that he saw A-Rod (of the NY Yankees), but other than that he commented that the bar was very expensive (my relative was in to high-end scotches at the time, which understandably is going to be an expensive drink at any 'W' hotel).  From what i do know of the property, the rooms are small (especially the bathrooms) and the walls are thin... there are better properties in NYC, but if you can get a decent deal, it's an acceptable hotel if you're expecting a 'main stream' brand experience (Hilton, Sheraton, Marriott, etc) and not expecting the 'wow' factor that typically accompanies the W brand.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see it was the hotel you were expecting and that you're happy with the outcome at this price.

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase and sharing your win, helping us update the Priceline Express Hotel List with the new amenity set for this property.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]