Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* New York City (Lower East Side - East Village) Hotel 50 Bowery NYC

longamkl
By longamkl,
in

Hi,

We're heading to Manhattan for 4 nights for the nights of 11/4 - 11/8.  This will be the first time away from children (in a decade) and we are celebrating our anniversary.  We would like something special but not ridiculously expensive - under $300? per night.  Our interests are architecture, Central Park, good food and hopefully a Rangers game and we have seen some of the main attractions of New York City on one prior trip.  We are happy to walk most places or use transit.  I've used your BiddingHelper.com tool (very cool!) but am having trouble deciding which part of town would be best.  I think we'd like a 5* with very good reviews.  I have a cancellable backup in the Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Metropolitan New York City for $1179 total.  I don't mind bidding if you think it would be worthwhile.  You seem to know New York so well.  Can you offer any advice please?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

NOTE (if you're not aware) that your dates will coincide with the NYC Marathon.... this can be a positive or a negative; it's a great (and inspiring) event to check-out even if you're not a runner, on the otherhand you should expect some street closures and a bit of disruption on Sunday.

You should be able to do much better than the Doubletree, imo.

If you want similar to the Doubletree but less money:

4* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $160.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> likely the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side, which i know doesn't exactly bring 'romance' to mind, but this one actually gets pretty good reviews, if budget is a main concern

4* HOTWIRE Rockefeller Center for $200.00
Free Internet
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> best guess here would be the The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center... very good reviews and centrally located and you could even walk to the entrance of Central Park in about 10 minutes as well as grab the E train 2 blocks away directly to Penn Station / Madison Square Garden (as well as other subway lines and stations nearby too)

4* Midtown East for $207.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> from the Hotwire Hotel List matches previous reports for the Iberostar 70 Park Avenue, which may be a bit more 'boutique-y' but i think the Jewel above is a better option

4.5* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $235.00
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Hi-Speed Internet
==> likely the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC which is not as centrally located as others above (a few subway stations within a 5-7 block radius which will have you in midtown in about 15 minutes) but i mention as it's one of the top reviewed hotels in the city with a 5.0 TA rating so might be something you want to consider given the special occaision

I did look at PRICELINE EXPRESS as well but didn't find anything as interesting as those above.

Any of the above work for your plans?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you!!  I appreciate all the comments - I certainly did not know about the marathon but agree that we'd find it inspiring.  Not into the Holiday Inn - even if it is a good one.  We are not that budget-strapped.  Definitely need something with more character than that.  The Jewel also seems that it would fit the bill but pales in comparison to the potential of the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC.  I'm not sure about that part of town but open to considering it.  Do you know of anything similar to the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC that would have a swimming pool?  What is the liklihood of that listing actually being the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC?  Again, thanks so much.  

I agree that your best options come down to choosing between The Jewel (location) or the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC (new hotel with incredible reviews).  Personally i would probably take the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC since it's not every day that you have the opportunity to stay at a hotel that is 5.0 TA rated... but if somebody were to take The Jewel instead i could understand that as well, each has their own merits, and not as if we're choosing between a Red Roof Inn vs. a Ritz Carlton where there would be an obvious winner.

13 hours ago, longamkl said:

Do you know of anything similar to the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC that would have a swimming pool?

Very few NYC hotels have pools as the real estate is just too expensive to 'waste' on something that is not directly revenue producing, i would forget about this or it's going to leave you with very few options (if any).  As well, hotels with 5.0 TA ratings are also very rare, so if you're hoping to see another hotel that is thiis highly rated to choose between the two, i don't think you're likely going to see it.  With so many hotels in NYC (nearly 500 reviewed by TA) i think you're fortunate to see one that is within the top 10 and you're not likely going to see another... likely not another in the top 25 or 50.

13 hours ago, longamkl said:

What is the liklihood of that listing actually being the Hotel 50 Bowery NYC?

We can't see the hotel name either, but if you look around the board, we have a very good track record of the hotels we research... and what is the downside, some other 5.0 TA rated hotel?  I think you have a pretty good 'safety net' under you with this one given the high TA rating.

Keep i mind that if you do like any of the options above you should try to make a decision sooner rather than later, otherwise HOTWIRE can make the decision for you by the hotel no longer appearing the next time you search (or appearing at a much higher price that no longer makes it a viable option)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I tried multiple times to go ahead and book the Hotel 50 Bowery but Hotwire keeps showing it in search results but keeps giving me every error under the sun each time I try and book.  I'm not signed in, my session has expired, the hotel is booked.  I've refreshed my search multiple times to now avail.  Can you help?

Please sent me a MESSAGE with the device you are on (desktop, mobile phone, android phone), what version you're using (Win8, Win10, iOS, marshmallow, oreo, etc) and browser type and version (at top of browser (if on desktop) select HELP >> ABOUT (browser name)

Also, are you getting that error after clicking the offer from the search results OR after you input your name and credit card info?

Are you still seeing the price at $235/nite as i'm currently seeing it at $249-$251/nite on current HOTWIRE searches.

Are you trying to book from within the BiddingHelper.com HOTWIRE or EASY VIEW tab (which one) or did you click a HOTWIRE link and are now on a 'regular' Hotwire page?

Happy to report this win of the very highly rated Hotel 50 Bowery NYC as correctly predicted by thereuare.  The rate went up a little bit from my first quote (from $235 to $249) but we went with it anyway and are looking forward to checking out the hotel and in a part of town that we don't know very well.  Thanks so much for your insight Better Bidding.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are looking forward to your stay at this well reviewed property.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us confirm this property for the Hotwire Hotel List.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay and anniversary in NYC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]