Help to find hotel 8/28-9/4

JorgKam
By JorgKam,
in

Hi, I'm traveling to NYC this month from 8/28-9/4 and I need some help to find a hotel. We would like to stay in Manhattan(not above Central Park), Brooklyn Downtown or Long Island City in a hotel with a 3* or up rating with a price of $139 per night or less (excluding taxes). We are with 2 adults and a 14yr old, so we need at least a king size bed. And I think it is also important that there is a subway station nearby (<10min walk).

With Priceline I read that it is double occupancy, would it be a problem to stay with 3 if we just accept the beds provided?

Also, I have looked at Hotwire where I found the 3* Brooklyn downtown hotel for $100 a night. Is this a good option and what hotel could this be?  Amenities:

Free breakfast, Free Internet, Pet friendly, Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

On Priceline I saw a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for $139 a night in Downtown-Financial district area for 4* hotel with the following advertised:

Your room: King Bed - Accessible Nonsmoking Room

Amenities: Business Center, Restaurant, Internet, Gym/Spa, Non-Smoking

Guest Score: 7+

Can you guess what hotel this would be and is this a good option?

For priceline what are the chances to get this deal for less if we do a bid ourselves?

I would love to hear if you have some better options. Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Some comments and questions regarding your stay:

3 hours ago, JorgKam said:

so we need at least a king size bed

Would one bed plus a pullout sofabed or rollaway brought into the room be acceptable as well?

3 hours ago, JorgKam said:

We would like to stay in Manhattan(not above Central Park), Brooklyn Downtown or Long Island City

Do you have plans in Brooklyn (and are they the majority of your plans) or is this and Long Island City just a cheaper alternative to staying in Manhattan?

The 3* HOTWIRE Brooklyn property you reference above:

3* Downtown Brooklyn for $100.00
Complimentary Breakfast
Free Internet
Pet Friendly
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Handicapped Parking
Roll-in Shower
==> best guess for this property would be the Red Lion Inn and Suites Brooklyn, but note that HOTWIRE indicates that it only has a 55% recommendation from previous guests... do you think this would be acceptable for you family? (not a rhetorical question... for some they can overlook any issues based upon the low price; for others it would ruin their trip and memories of NYC)

4 hours ago, JorgKam said:

With Priceline I read that it is double occupancy, would it be a problem to stay with 3 if we just accept the beds provided?

It could be an issue as having more than double occupancy in some rooms could violate fire codes and you could get a hotel/front desk clerk that wants to make an issue of the matter, in addition to the fact that some hotels charge more for anything more than double occupancy, and not to mention that on average NYC hotel rooms are some of the smallest in the country... do you really want to be uncomfortable for a week in hope of savings $20-$30/nite? (think about this in relation to how much the trip is going to cost in terms of airfare/travel expense, meals out, etc... you don't want to be tired and uncomfortable the entire time to save a few dollars and have somebody (i'll assume your son) potentially sleep on the floor)

HOWEVER, if you can find a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer that offers a Bed Choice and one of the choices shown is for a room with two beds (or sofabed) or that is otherwise designed to accommodate the number of guests, then that may be a good choice... technically your room is still booked for double occupancy, but i don't yet know of anyone that has had an issue when showing up with more than double occupancy when a specific room type is booked that is designed to accommodate the actual number of guests.  You could do the same with HOTWIRE, or also look at hotwire when searching for 2adutls/1child (your true occupancy)

So while PRICELINE EXPRESS (and HOTWIRE) may be an option, i would not recommend bidding in this situation.  If you're traveling to Orlando or Disneyland where hotel rooms are typically larger and hotels have a high percentage of rooms designed to accommodate families it's a different story, but i wouldn't recommend bidding on PRICELINE in NYC when you need more than double occupancy.

The best option i'm seeing closest to your criteria (when searching for 2adults/1child) is this offer:

4* HOTWIRE Lower East Side - East Village for $151.00
Free Internet
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
==> best guess for this one would be the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side where you can get 2 double beds for this price, you're one block from the 'M' subway line and 2 blocks from the 'F' subway line (and the J/Z which you will not really use but will take you downtown if/when you need to), you're actually in Manhattan which saves you time commuting (from Brooklyn) to the city, and the hotel gets good reviews.  It's not the most centrally located, but the Lower East Side is very 'up and coming' (it will eventually be like Chelsea, imo) with lots of bars, restaurants, cafes, boutiques, etc. all opening up in the area.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take the HOTWIRE offer above) and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]