Priceline Hotel: help to find hotel in chicago on a budget

lenny43
By lenny43,
in

Hi!

New to this priceline bidding game... been trying to bid for 4 star hotels in the area but to no avail..

on a budget attending a conference at the McCormick convention center 

hoping to also take the time to explore the city whilst i am there

Can I get your kind advise on the best way to go about getting a good value hotel in the area

- 3.5-4 star

- Chicago, 

- areas: downtown chicago - millennium park (preferably), loop-grant park, downtown river north

- 9-13 Sept 2017

- 150usd per night 

Should I just take the express deals or is bidding still the cheaper option?

Any kind advise is appreciated!

Thanks!

lenny 

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Some comments /questions / suggestions (confirm your dates on the landing pages of any links provided below):

4* HOTWIRE River North for $166.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Business
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Wheelchair Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==> best guess here would be the Hotel Felix

3.5* Chicago Loop - Grant Park for $157
Business Center
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> Chicago's Essex Inn would be my best guess here (and using the promo at the top of the page and in my signature this comes in right at your target of $150/nite)

Are either of these acceptable and work for your needs?  If not, and you would like to move forward with PRICELINE bidding, please let us know which star ratings, zones, and how high you have already bid and we will suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Essex would be closer to McCormick Place (still a taxi ride, but a relatively short one), but there's not a whole lot going on around that area at night. The Felix would be further away from McCormick, but better area in terms of sightseeing/more going on at night. Unfortunately, breaking the stay up doesn't benefit in this case, as these dates appear busy across the board.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hi!

yes, will use the links provided.

I guess as long as I have a metro stop nearby which I can walk to to travel down to McCormick Place. That does it for me. (And free WIFI!)

I would definitely like to have areas to go at night for leisure as well as for sightseeing if time permits, so staying in such areas would be good as long as they are safe!

Are there any alternatives closer to the metro stations? around grand or millenium.

My budget is $150 per night , but is the price stated on priceline inclusive of taxes? 

Lastly will bidding be a cheaper option to get a lower price?

Thanks!

ok i tried clicking on them, looks like the price on hotwire for 166$ is exclusive of taxes, it jumps up to 210$ after taxes and fees!

unfortunately my budget is strictly $150 inclusive of taxes and fees. 

I suppose if I go lower to 3* hotels, are there good selections given the above conditions?

Try this exercise using the PRICELINE EXPRESS tab at BiddingHelper.com:

1) conduct your search and then click in the Priceline Express tab

2) above the search results (and just below the Priceline Express tab) you will see a price slider... keep the left side at $0 but move the right arrow to the left until you hit $150 (these prices too are before taxes/fees but you want to always look just above your budget just in case there is some incredible deal just a few dollars over your budget)

3) at the top of the search results find the 'SORT BY' and click PRICE

==> you now have all PRICELINE EXPRESS hotels that are priced at $150 or below sorted by price (if the price at the top of the list is high then just click the 'SORT ORDER Price' link again and it will reverse the sort order)

(you could further have filtered by zone and/or star rating but i would just use the above 'as-is' for now given this example)

So if you now scroll thru the list of PRICELINE EXPRESS hotel offers and stop each time you see a zone that is acceptable to you for this stay.  Unfortunately the only one i current see is this one (confirm your dates on the landing page of the provided link):

1* Chicago Loop - Grant Park for $124
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
==> best guess for this would be the Travelodge Hotel Downtown Chicago, and even this too is a few dollars over budget once taxes/fees are taken into consideration ($154/nite all-in)

If you repeat the above is in HOTWIRE EASY VIEW tab (here you may want to filter by zones too since there are so many zones, just leave checkmarks next to your acceptable zones) and there is only one offer that i can see:

3* HOTWIRE River North for $138.00
Free Internet
Boutique
Smoke Free
Fitness
Restaurant
Laundry
Hi-Speed Internet
==> The Freehand Chicago would be my best guess for this one and has better reviews than the one above, but this too is over your budget on an all-in basis coming in at $177/nite on an all-in basis (so about $20 more per nite than the 1 star hotel above)

Maybe you uncover something other than the ones above on your own search and we would be happy to research anything that you find that is more inline with your budget and what you're looking for, but i think the above gives you a very good idea of what is available and that perhaps $150 on an all-in basis is not likely realistic for these dates, so you will need to decide where you are most likely able to compromise... star rating (doesn't seem to help unless you are OK with the 1* hotel above, location (look at zones that are further from 'downtown' and/or the convention center), or increase your budget.

Let us know your thoughts and how you would like to proceed (or how it goes if you go for one of the offers above) and we will take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Let us know what you ultimately decide to do for this stay or how we can be of further help.

The Freehand would be a great location and certainly a nicer experience than the 1* Travelodge, which is an older property. I'm seeing what appears to be the Willows in Lincoln Park on PRICELINE EXPRESS for slightly less than the Freehand after the promotion in my signature, but while that would offer breakfast, it's well North of the city and not as convenient as the Freehand. I'm quite familiar with the city and would be happy to answer any questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]