Priceline Hotel: PL Strategy: August 3 - 6, 2006 NMA/Millennium Park

Agoust
By Agoust,
in

I need to be in Chicago August 3 - 6, 2006 for a conference at the Palmer House. (Comparatively speaking, it's not a terribly large gathering.) When attending conferences, I mildly prefer to stay outside of the conference hotel. Then, I get to see a bit of the city and am not couped-up with conference-attendees ALL the time.

Yesterday, my bid of $75/night for a four star/boutique hotel in NMA was rejected.

Today, my rebid of $75/night for a four star/boutique hotel in NMA and Millennium Park was rejected.

Any suggestions?

I've previously stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker for $75/night, though this was in March not August.

Am I hopelessly underbidding? Is it too early for me to be bidding?

It's probably a combination of a little too early and a little low. I could be a bit off, but I would think that, given the rates I'm seeing for your dates and the fairly popular early August time period in the city, a bid of more around $95-100 would be more likely to be accepted, if there is priceline inventory for August at this time.

Do you need to be in a certain area of the city to be near the confrence? What would be your max budget per night?

If nothing seems to work with Priceline this far out, myself and others could probably suggest a cancellable back-up, then you could continue w/Priceline, but know that you had a place if, for whatever reason, Priceline doesn't net you anything.

Thanks for your speedy reply, AaronJB. In general, I like to be within walking distance of most conference hotels--though not necessarily *in* the conference hotel for the reasons I described above. Price: I'm looking to spend around $75-85/night. Ideally, I'd like to be in the four-star range or a boutique.

I think I'm going to let a few days pass, and then rebid at $85/night. If it's unsuccessful, I'll take that as a sign and let a few more weeks pass before trying again.

Good strategy?

Also: I've just recently discovered this board. Should I post Priceline wins from November, August, and March 2005? Further back? Or just let by-gones be by-gones? I'm not sure I'm seeing this in the FAQs.

In terms of what EasyClickTravel offers, the Whitehall is $119 per night for your nights. While it gets a few mixed reviews, it's in a terrific location just off Michigan Ave. It's a historic hotel that's one of Chicago's longer-running properties (in other words, it used to be one of "the" hotels until all the newer, sleeker properties came along - see also the Ambassador East.)

Many thanks Aaron and thereuare. The Whitehall looks perfect. However, I'm not sure I'm seeing the site's cancellation policy--I'm definitely going, but what if I priceline and find something more amenable?

Anyone have any experience with this EasyClickTravel?

Yes, I know I just made a new verb above. Conjugate with me:

I priceline

You priceline

He pricelines

She pricelines

We priceline

You priceline

They priceline.

The Whitehall is in a very nice location; Michigan Ave. is half a block away, and the Hancock Observatory is literally right there. The closest subway station is less than a 5 minute walk at the corner of Chicago and State.

Here is the most recent Frommers review of the Whitehall; it'll give you a better feel of the hotel -

http://frommers.com/destinations/chicago/H24339.html

The cheapest rate at the Whitehall Hotel website (http://www.thewhitehallhotel.com/) is $219 for your dates. If you haven't already, you can see room photos and more details at the hotel's website.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updates: I've nudged my dates; I'm now in Chicago August 2-6. (I don't know how to change my topic, alas.) Using SavingsBarn and EasyClickTravel, I booked an additional night at the Whitehall; again at $119/night.

I've been running my dates through Priceline every 4-5 days, adding Skokie and Midway rebid zones. I've gone as high as $95. I'm comfortable with the Whitehall, but still have the sneaking suspicion that price-wise I could do better.

I note that the Tall Ships are in Chicago that week, and that the Cubs are home. I imagine these two things are effecting availability to some extent.

• 2 months later...

Today I discovered that Lollapalooza is in Grant Park, August 4-6. Between that, the Cubs, and the Tall Ships it sounds like a very full weekend. I have a reservation at the Whitehall and will keep trying Priceline, but I don't think the outlook's too brilliant.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]