Priceline Hotel: Paris: 1* Offer Rejected $65

lanoneus
By lanoneus,
in

well, from what i've seen, there are no hotels in central paris for less than $50, one star or otherwise. if I'm wrong, tell me where else I should be looking.

Well that was just a general comment - I find pretty much all the non-chain 3-stars europe seriously lacking in quality.

Just my opinion, but I would rather take the short metro ride from La Defense if the Renaissance is available in the 60-80 dollar range. It was a very pleasant hotel when I stayed there.

I can second that. I am actually working not far from the Renaissance, and it's really a good and easy connection towards Paris city center (RER and metro) and also to the castle of Versailles (by train). Also the other possible 4star hotels (probably the two Sofitels) are not far from metro / RER and offer good quality.

Hmmm...maybe too many opinions here, but there is another thing worth mentioning. The star rating system is NOT THE SAME in Europe as it is in the US. In Europe, stars are assigned according to the amenities that are available at a hotel, but it is NOT an indication of the quality of the hotel. For instance, in the US, for a 3* hotel you would expect all the basics plus some luxury features and generally excellent quality. Good examples would be the Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt (even Holiday Inn can be really nice) chains of hotels. In Europe, 3* will get you a hotel with a seperate reception area, elevators, private bathrooms, heat (no a/c), possibly a bar/restaurant on site. However, the facilities could be charming and in excellent condition with ambiance and great views...or it could be an ill-maintained dump that you would never stay in if you had a choice. Basically the star rating system is a government checklist that determines a hotel's tax rate...and it varies from country to country. So, you have to do some additional research to determine a hotel's quality. Tripadvisor.com is a good place to start. I have noticed that since Americans are used to more standardization in hotel quality, that it is very easy to be upset with hotel quality in Europe. Also, interestingly there is not always a good correlation between star level and price in Europe. Of course, a 4* will always cost more than a 1*...but a 3* may sometimes cost more than a 4* in the same city. Again, you have to do your homework.

The bottom line for me is that I never bid on less than a 4* hotel in Europe...and I don't expect it to be the same as a 4* hotel in the US (although there are always exceptions). So, I would never take a chance on a 1* or 2* hotel...it could be truly awful! So please, be patient with your bid and try for a higher star level. Also, there have been a number of 3* wins in La Defense for less than $65...that would be a much better choice. Good luck!

Thank you everyone; I found the hotel Sainte Marie for 54 euros for a double with shower; it's very well reviewed though it's a one star, and located in the second arrondissement. This is actually the only website where I've seen such negativity about one stars; from what I've read in tripadvisor and virtualtourist, it really has more to do with amenities (conference room, spa, etc) than quality, and some 3 stars get horrible reviews compared to the one I've picked.

Just wanted to let people know what I'd bid; I appreciate the information websites like this can provide.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]