Priceline Hotel: 4* Vancouver (Vancouver Int'l Airport (YVR) - Richmond) Pacific Gateway Hotel At Vancouver Airport

nsawhney
By nsawhney,
in

Please include the dates of your stay as well as the amenities that PRICELINE EXPRESS associates with the property and we will have a look.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While it's a bad idea to bet that PRICELINE has got a piece of information wrong, i'm thinking that this is the Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel.  HOWEVER, note that this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer shows a minimum user review rating of 8+ while the Sheraton Vancouver Airport has a current user review rating of only 7.6.  Usually this is enough to exclude this property from the possibilities, but in this instance instance i'm speculating that this may be an error on PRICELINE's part, and as they are usually right, it puts a cloud over my guess for this listing.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Funny you mention that - I was in the same dilemma. I was also thinking the Marriott as an option. 

Regardless, did another search for about 3 -5 days out from today and I'm seeing significantly lower prices for hotels in these areas. I'm thinking of holding off until early second week of May to make a booking. Let's hope this plan doesn't come back to bite me in the behind. 

Rates can definitely go up as dates get closer, so I'd keep an eye on rates. Listings can also go, as well. Let us know when you are ready to book and we would be more than happy to help ID listings available at that time.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, as you get closer to your stay, but there are major flaw(s) in thinking that rates will come down 3-5 days from your arrival vs. the lower rates you're seeing for dates 3-5 days from now.

The easiest example to provide/understand:

Let's say that there is nothing happening in the area 3-5 days from now and most hotel have high vacancy rates but there is a major event taking place over your dates 3 weeks from now and most hotels are nearly sold-out... obviously rates will be higher for dates 3 weeks from now (given that most hotels are nearly sold-out) vs. rates 3-5 days (where hotels have lots of rooms they are trying to fill).

HERE is a 4.5* Downtown hotel for January (NOTE: different dates then yours above so don't purchase this one) that is only $95/nite and therefore higher rated and cheaper than your one above (not to mention that 'downtown' hotels are almost always cheaper than airport locations)... by your theory above it would therefore be better to book in advance (further confirmed by looking at THIS 4.5* Dowtnown hotel that is for your dates priced at $317/nite)... but in fact it has nothing to do with how far in advance this purchase is being made, it more so has to do with the fact that demand (and therefore rates) are higher in May than it is in January, ultimately it's always supply vs. demand driven and demand for your dates 3 weeks from now may be higher than demand for 3-5 days from now. ;

As i first noted not even we can determine if rates for your dates will come down or move higher in the next 3 weeks, but i do know that at current prices the 3.5* Priceline Express hotel for $110/nite (confirm your dates on the landing page) would seem to be a very good deal considering that 'regular rates' for 3.5* hotels for your dates are in the $191-$225 range, so is currently a significant discount to a conventional rate booking.

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately decide to do and how it goes.

This is some awesome information, thank you!

Completely in agreement with what you've stated here; the 3-8 day theory prior to arrival came from general talk with some colleagues who also use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE to book their stays. 

Also agree that the May 17 - 21 are over a long weekend and so demand/rates may be higher.

The only thing that's keeping me from confirming the booking is the fact that I looked at BB Priceline Maps and saw that historically, rates for even a 4* hotel in the Vancouver Airport area (similar dates) were lower than what I'm looking at now. This makes me curious if I can expect them to go down slightly. 

With that said, it probably wouldn't have made a massive difference if this was a one night stay, but a lower price translates to significant savings in base rate and taxes over four nights.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, nsawhney said:

general talk with some colleagues who also use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE to book their stays. 

Please make sure they know about this site (or maybe that is how you got here):smile:

You're 3 weeks from check-in and hotels already have a very good idea of what demand is for these dates and have priced their rooms accordingly.  Maybe their intention is to drop rates a week prior to check-in... or maybe demand is actually higher than usual for these dates and rates will continue to climb as more people look at the last minute to make their reservations; there just is no way to know (the hotel has more information than anyone as they can see just what occupancy levels are for these dates, but even they don't know how many new reservations/cancellations will come in over the next 3 weeks).

Assuming this is a hotel that are among the 'IS THIS A GOOD PRICE' this offer is about 40% off of a regular rate booking (which range from $191-$246)... so that would seem like a pretty good discount to act upon, but whether it gets even cheaper (or more expensive) i just can't say (nor can anyone else).

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Congratulations on finding something that works for your needs.

Was this a winning PRICELINE bid thru Name Your Own Price, a PRICELINE EXPRESS offer, a HOTWIRE purchase... or thru a traditional booking channel where you knew the name of the hotel beforehand.

If HOTWIRE can you please also include here the amenities associated with the hotel which you can still view by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT >> MY TRIPS link on the top right of their home page (or if PRICELINE EXPRESS please include the amenities if you recall them)

Enjoy your stay.

It was a Priceline bid through Name Your Own Price. I kept monitoring the Priceline Express deal with reasonable confirmation that it was for this hotel. Then I applied the 5% BB discount code, looked at the $ value and tried to undercut it using Name Your Own Price @ $5 increments. Ended up getting it just slightly cheaper than the Express Deal minus 5% discount, but I'm happy with the purchase considering this is a 4 star hotel (or at least, claims to be) and I got it for a better price than I had originally thought I would get. 

Thanks again for your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]