Priceline Hotel: 4* in San Antonio riverwalk area help

ThePriceIsRight
By ThePriceIsRight,
in

I've been going back and forth with the name your own price and PRICELINE EXPRESS deals for a 4* in the San Antonio Riverwalk area.

I'm staying this week the 27th to the 31st. I already have another hotel booked just messing around with this because it could possibly be an upgrade for almost the same price and I can cancel the one I have booked. 

The express deal is 156 right now and the hotel has free WiFi, gym/spa, pool, a restaurant. I'm thinking it might be the Grand Hyatt San Antonio Riverwalk because looking at the list you have here the only other express hotel is the Omni La Mansion del Rio and they don't offer free WiFi.

I tried to do a name you own price from 100-130 bucks and those got declined but I keep getting offered the Grand Hyatt as the closest match for 201 a night.

I'm probably going too low for a name your price for a 4* here but I'm getting closer to being the same price as the express deal anyway.  

Any thoughts? 

Welcome to Betterbidding.

On PRICELINE EXPRESS, I'm seeing (please confirm that the dates of travel are correct on the detail page after clicking the links below.)

4* Riverwalk Area for $156
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
No Smoking Rooms/Facilities
>>>I'd guess the Marriott Plaza or the Omni La Mansion Del Rio, but would lean towards the former.

3.5* Riverwalk Area for $130
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
>>>Likely Sheraton Gunter.

5* Riverwalk Area for $168
Pets Allowed
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
>>>Likely St Anthony

If you've bid up to $130 for a 4* in the Riverwalk area, you're probably very close - I'm guessing it would take $135-145.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I tried to do my research before posting, the only reason I don't think it's the Omni is because all their reviews say they charge 10 bucks a day for WiFi and the express deal says free WiFi. The Marriott Plaza looks nice but I'm kinda hoping for the Grand Hyatt.

I've never used priceline before so not knowing what hotel it is going to be has made me hesitant so I'm not sure if I'm going to go for it or not. I have a hotel that's only 5 mins away via an Uber right now but it's a standard hotel. 

I will post back either way, I may even wait a bit longer since I'm not very sure anyway. 

What, and how much, is your back-up hotel?

Where is it that you need to travel to?

Would staying closer to your destination be desirable our is it outside of the city and you prefer to stay 'downtown' for convenience when you're attending your meeting/function?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

PS- note that for the future we also have a sister site, RefundableRates.com, that can help you find the best deal near where you want to be, and enables you to search for only rates that are refundable (within a few days before arrival)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Its 130 a night for the best Western Alamo suites. They have free parking and decent reviews which is why I booked there. It's just a bare bones standard hotel. Just in town for vacation, just figure if I can upgrade to a 4 star possibly on the riverwalk it's worth a shot but I have to account for the fact I'll have to find parking but I saw there are cheaper places than the hotels valets so I'll go that route if I have to. 

Well it comes down to what type of vacation you would like, and how much time you will be spending at the Riverwalk if not staying right there (as you'll likely need to deal with parking once you drive there anyway).

Why not the 3.5* above guessed to be the Sheraton.  While both this property and the one you have as a back-up get 4.0/5.0 on TA, the Best Western is ranked #96 in the city, whereas the Sheraton is ranked #34, which is a pretty big jump, and the reviews are very good as well.  Of course if you have more flexibility in your budget the 5* referenced above, believed to be the St. Anthony, puts you in one of the top 10 hotels in the city.

Not sure if you can cancel part of your current reservation (or if rates are still the same), but if so you could take one of the options above for 2 nites (assuming the same hotel(s) are offered for whichever 2 nites you search) and then:

1) if you're happy with the results look to see if you can pick up the other 2 nites at the same property

2) keep your two nites at your back-up hotel

This gives you a chance to 'taste' your first opaque hotel purchase with only half the risk (since it's only 2 nites of the 4)... good chance you'll likely book most of your future trips this way (for when your plans are flexible and you don't need to be at a specific property)

Let us know whatever you ultimately decide to do for this trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]