Priceline Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Downtown - River Walk) Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel Chicago

teeki
By teeki,
in

Hello,

This is a last minute trip, so I understand if no one has time to reply. I will still post what we end up getting.

We have two adults, two small children and are going to Chicago primarily to go to the Planetarium, Field Museum and Children's Museum and do a little touring. We will have a car. I was looking in the Millennium Park and Grant Park and Mag Mile areas just to narrow it down, but am open to other options. Our goals are to find a less expensive parking option near our hotel and be somewhat close to the attractions we would like to visit. A pool would be a bonus, but not a deal-breaker. Would like to keep around $70-75, but if there is an outstanding option for a little more, would consider that.

Using the BiddingHelper.com I see for PRICELINE EXPRESS:

Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher) $70

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

- Hyatt?

Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park Rated 8.0 out of 10 (or higher) $71

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park Rated 9.0 out of 10 (or higher) $95

Pets Allowed

Business Center

Restaurant

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Fitness Center

Thank you very much.

You didn't indicate which properties were 4* and which were 4.5* so i'll list what i'm currently seeing any my best guess for each (confirm your dates on the landing pages of any links provided below):

4.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $76
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
==> InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

4.5* Downtown - River North for $77
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
==> The Godfrey Hotel Chicago

4* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $67
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
==> Swissotel Chicago

4* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $67
Business Center
Restaurant
Fitness Center
==> Millennium Knickerbocker Hotel Chicago

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Swiss is not that different than the Intercontinental in terms of location and would be closer to cheaper parking options in Grant Park/Millennium Park. The Knickerbocker is a bit too far North given what you are looking to do. The Swiss would also have at least some chance of a view and for $67, certainly a reasonable rate for Chicago.

If you stay at the Swiss, there's a staircase down pretty much across from that hotel and that staircase takes you down to the Columbus bridge across the river. Once you're across the river you get to Illinois/Columbus. - and from there you can head East on Illinois and it's not long before you're at Navy Pier/Children's Museum (there is not going to be much going on at Navy Pier at this point in the year otherwise.)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you for the replies and the advice. Of all the options it sounds like the Swiss would be best. I checked Hotwire and the prices and amenities seem similar. Are they typically the same hotels? I also see there is one in McCormick Place. Would this be a better location closer to the Planetarium and Field Museums? Or stick with the Swiss since the location is more central (and possibly a nicer hotel?).

4* $124 McCormick Place

Free Internet, Indoor pool(s), Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Golf nearby, Wheelchair accessible

If you have any knowledge of whether the Museum Science and Industry is worth fitting in and whether it is best to drive to these places or take an Uber or Lyft I would appreciate any advice you have.

Thank you very much for the help!

AaronJB can respond better than i can, but i do know that McCormick Place is out of the way and not much else around, so only really a recommended zone if you're attending a conference there.  As well, given the location, it's certainly not going to be worth twice as much as your other options.

PRICELINE EXPRESS and HOTWIRE may or may not have the same offerings, as each may rate hotels differently, as well as have the hotels in different boundaries.

Is what you believe is the Swiss thru HOTWIRE any cheaper on an all-in basis vs. the PRICELINE EXPRESS option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Hotwire now shows the same price $66 as Priceline. Mag Mile Water Tower amenities: FULL AMENITIES: Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower.

We would like to get the Swiss based on the recommendations, so I guess that would likely be the $66 Priceline one?

Thank you

I definitely would NOT recommend McCormick. There is nothing much around that area and while it appears close-ish to the Field/Adler, I'd FAR rather recommend staying downtown where there are more in the way of restaurants and things going on. 

What I'm seeing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (after clicking on the link, please confirm that the correct dates of travel are showing):

I'm not seeing what appears to be the Swiss while searching now. I'll note what I'm seeing shortly.

Please confirm the date/s of travel after clicking on the links below.

4* Downtown - River North for $57
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Possible Hotel Chicago. Fine choice along the river and less expensive.

4.5* Downtown - River North for $78
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Would likely be the James. Could walk from here to Navy Pier/Children's Museum pretty easily.

4.5* Chicago Loop - Grant Park for $81
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Possible Hyatt Centric Loop. Newer hotel. Not a whole lot going on directly around this hotel at night, but hotel opened within last year. Would not be a bad taxi ride to Field/Adler.

4.5* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park for $93
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
Possible Radisson Blu. Gorgeous building, highly reviewed property. Couple of blocks North of Millennium Park.

4.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $66
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>Likely Sofitel. Would be a bit North for what you're looking for, but gorgeous hotel for a really great price. There is a Red Line station a few short blocks away.

It's definitely a very unique property with great reviews. If you do stay there, I'd call ahead and ask if there's any way you could get a view of the river and/or Navy Pier.

The other note is that you may want to consider Navy Pier for parking. I've never parked there, but:

Special Seasonal Parking Rate at Navy Pier (November 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017)

$25 flat parking rate every day

Valid at Navy Pier Garages only, 600 E. Grand Avenue. Published garage rates are valid for a 24-hour period starting from the time stamped on the ticket when the car entered the garage. Cars parked beyond the 24 hours will be subject to additional rates.

https://navypier.com/parking-valet/

Unfortunately there's no way to know for certain if it will appear again, but same day it's fairly unlikely. I'm also seeing the message when I click on it and a different 4.5* is showing in the zone.

In the same area (around/near the river)

4.5* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $76
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
>>>Likely Intercontinental, although I'll warn that the pool is not a relaxed/family friendly pool. It's an absolutely stunning, historic pool but it's really meant for lap swimming.

4.5* Downtown - River North for $78
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Fitness Center
>>>James

4* Magnificent Mile -Gold Coast for $66
Pets Allowed
Business Center
Restaurant
Free Internet
Indoor or Outdoor Pool
Fitness Center
>>>Likely the Sheraton. The Sheraton is very much a "convention hotel", but this is square on the other side of the river from the Radisson, which puts you a few minutes walk closer to Navy Pier. There is a beautiful, newer Whole Foods on the opposite corner - great for cheaper snacks/drinks/alternative to room service. The Sheraton would be a reasonable option. I'd try calling ahead if you go this route and ask for a room on the river side. Pinstripes (http://pinstripes.com/chicago-illinois/), which is very nice although rather expensive - is a block away.

4* Millennium Park - Grant Park for $73.00
Pet Friendly
Boutique
Smoke Free
Pool
Restaurant
Business
Hi-Speed Internet
Golf
Spa
Childrens Activities
Blind Accessible
Deaf Accessible
Travel Accessible
Room Accessible
Bathroom Accessible
Roll-in Shower
==>  This listing on HOTWIRE may be the Swissotel or the Hilton Towers. If the Hilton, it would put you a very quick taxi ride away from Adler/Field. If the Swiss, would be an easy walk to Navy Pier.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were ultimately successful and pleased with the outcome.  Hopefully you are already checked-in and beginning to enjoy your stay.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]