Priceline bids "in stone"

cmf
By cmf,
in

As none of my bids for NYC have been accepted so far, and I just lived through hurricane Isabel's wrath, I was wondering if there are any circumstances in which Priceline might refund a winning bid?

Consider this scenario: If I'd had a reservation last weekend, I could not have gotten to NYC because of the storm. Wondered if I would have had to pay for the theoritical room I had previously reserved through Priceline?

Noticed another storm just hit Nova Scotia, where I am going soon. These things happen, and I would hope Priceline would consider such unforseen weather problems and give credit or at least the opportunity to use the bid another time.

Do you know anything about this? Thanks. cmf

Priceline has been known to have a heart. :)

I have heard about refunds being given during the recent blackout that hit the eastern United States and they also gave refunds after the tragic events of 9-11.

I wouldn't give a blanket statement of "anytime there is an unforseen event that affects 'x' number of people they'll cancel reservations", but i would think that given a situation that affects more than one plane or one airport, they will likely do the right thing.

Here is another thread you may want to read: Priceline Comes to the Rescue (although i would suggest this is the exception and not the rule)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 year later...

Priceline seems to be good about force majeure. I was to be in BHM tonight, but all flights were cancelled because of airport conditions due to Hurricane Katrina. I called Priceline, explained the situation in the most general terms (I didn't have to do any substantiation besides my reservation #) and they refunded. It took ten minutes.

I had a reservation at the Miami Downtown Hyatt during one of last year's hurricanes. I was chit-chatting with a Priceline rep when I was trying to cancel the reservation. She told me that they had a policy in place that all Florida hotel reservations, and all residents of Florida who had reservations anywhere could cancel as long as they stated it was due to a hurricane.

Kind of makes you wonder why their travel insurance is necessary! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to get to a hotel because ALL public transportation was shut down due to Hurricane Isabel (believe me, I tried). This was in my opiinion an overreaction of the authorities, damage was fairly localized (some hotels flooded on the first floor in Baltimore, but not mine). Nonetheless, I couuldn't get there, Priceline refused to refund all my money, but did cancel it for a $25 fee. They were very adament that this was a one-time exception. I guess I was suppose to walk 28 miles to the hotel? :)

Received a email from Priceline this evening informing me that due to hurricane Katrina my hotel the Omni Royal Crescent is unable to accomodate me due to damage and Priceline has refunded my money no questions asked and no encouragement on my part. So not everything is set in stone.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]