Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Navy Pier - Millennium Park) Hyatt Regency Chicago

Jenrie2003
By Jenrie2003,
in

I've been doing quite a bit of research and struggling to identify the following hotel. Thank you tremendously for any help in identifying. Searching for two king rooms, November 23-25. 

4.5 Star Downtown Chicago - River North

Full Amenties: Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Smoke-free rooms, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

1 king bed - $96/ night

1 queen bed - $106/night

95% of guests recommend, 4/5 TripAdvisor (1-100 reviews)

I thought  it it might be The James but there is another 4.5 star listing ($84 king bed, $84 2 double bed, $98 queen) that I am pretty certain is that one.

The location of the Godfrey is not ideal so am hoping that this is not what this hotel is. I didn see any queen rooms on the Godfrey site however.

Thanks again for any help. I'll be glad to post what we got once we decide how to book. 

Welcome to Betterbidding.

This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board. I'm not seeing a property on tripadvisor that's 4/5 with less than 100 reviews, so possibly that's an error.

I'm quite familiar with Chicago and would be happy to offer suggestions. Let us know a bit more about what you are looking for in terms of location and any other aspects (is a king bed a must?, particular location, style, etc). The Godfrey (which I do see for $91 on PRICELINE EXPRESS, at the 4.5* level in River North with a King suite option for $112 via the bed choice option on the listing) is a bit of a walk from Michigan Ave, but is an easy walk to tons of restaurants in River North. The James is right off Michigan Ave (and a block or so from Eataly.) 

There's actually a lot of compelling deals for this night. While you're looking for a 4/4.5+, there is a 3.5* on Priceline Express in River North for $49. (please confirm the correct date/s of travel are showing on the landing page.) That listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but my guess would be the Courtyard River North. There's also a 4* in River North for $59 on Priceline Express. (please confirm the correct date/s of travel are showing on the landing page.) While not a 4.5*, the savings can go towards a nice dinner, museums or shopping. Both listings have an 8+ customer review rating.

But again, there's plenty to choose from for these nights. Let us know more about what you are looking for and I'd be happy to research (as well as answer any city questions.)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you so much for you timely and thoughtful reply!

My husband and I moved to the central Illinois area a few years ago. Since then, we've enjoyed taking the train to Chicago the Wednesday-Friday of Thanksgiving week to watch the parade, go to the German market and take in Chicago. We usually stay at the Hotel Kinzie as it includes the evening reception and breakfast. We also like to have dinner at Pizzeria Due. Having a view is also important to us. The room we usually book (corner king 608) is quoted at $214/night this year not including the daily fee. It looks like I've id'd the hotel on Hotwire for $106/night but don't want to end up in one of the rooms facing a brick wall. Plus, this year, my parents will be traveling here to join us on the tradition, which is why we are looking at two rooms. The dates of November 23-25 are correct.

As mentioned, a view is something we would desire in a hotel. Kinzie was a great location as we could easily walk to State St. for the parade and German market as well as some of the fun restaurants in River North. My concern with the Godfrey is that it would be too far of a walk to the bean, the parade, etc. If it was just us, we would be fine, but want to get to as close to the things we want to see as possible since my folks are coming. We generally prefer River North over the Loop.

When looking at other options, I'm afraid The James may have too modern of a vibe and also worry about the view from those rooms. There is a 4.5 start for Navy Pier that I think may be the Fairmont that I am also considering. What's holding me back is that there seems to be some mixed reviews about that hotel and there would still be some walking from there. Bottom line, since we have company coming this year, I want to get as nice of a hotel as possible while still staying around $100-$110/night before taxes (something I only think is possible in Chicago this week :) ). I also want to be able to select the king room option so that we don't end up in rooms with two beds. Lots of needs, I know, but I think that is why I've spent so much time looking.  

Since we likely won't have breakfast included this year, I'd also love to hear some of your recommendations for a reasonably priced breakfast. Actual Thanksgiving day may be limited as far as what places are open. 

Again, thank you for your assistance!! I appreciate it!

A view is something that's a little difficult when it comes to Chicago because of the density of the city.  The most stunning the view that I've had was at the Westin River North, as the rooms that face South have tremendous views of the river, especially on higher floors (and the building is right against the river, not across the street from it). The view that I had was a classic view looking West and had unobstructed views far into the distance. That was via PRICELINE, but I paid the difference between a regular room and the upgraded room as a fee to get the upgraded room, something that a hotel may or may not be willing to do depending on the day. To me, a river view is more appealing than a lake view, from the standpoint of it's more of a "classic Chicago" view with the bridges lit up at night and activity. The Holiday Inn Mart Plaza has rooms that face the river (as well as a lobby bar with an awesome view and there are a couple of others, although I think the Westin's views are particularly memorable.

A lake view (W Lakeshore, top floors of the Residence Inn on Walton looking North, upgraded rooms at the Drake,a  few others) is nice, but more limited at night after dark.  The Swissotel and Fairmont have views, but they would not be guaranteed with the discount services. The Sheraton is another option on the opposite side of the bridge from the Swiss, but I think lake views at that property have been obstructed by the fact that they plopped a hotel square in front of the property. In the Loop, there's the Blackstone Renaissance and Hilton that have upgraded rooms that look over the park, although these are paid upgrades. There are a few others, as well, although these Loop locations wouldn't work well for your travel plans. 

The one issue that I have with view is that there is no guarantee of it with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. If a hotel offers a view as a paid upgrade, then you have to call the hotel and hope they are willing to work with you on the upgrade. The hotel may say no and there is a risk you can end up with a room with limited view. 

One thought I have is that the Kinzie is $134 refundable ($123 is non-refundable) on PRICELINE (although check the fine print for cancel details before booking.) That's a little over what you intended to spend, but breakfast is a nice added value. Book, call them and ask if there's a way that you can get a decent view (maybe not a corner room, but a nice view that's not overlooking a brick wall.) If they say yes, awesome. If not, cancel the reservation and look for something else. 

PRICELINE also has city view king rooms for $107 at the Hotel Chicago (which was formerly the House of Blues Hotel and is a block or two away from the Kinzie.) This is a non-refundable rate. So for $107 this would offer a view and a king room.  This property is also potentially showing on PRICELINE EXPRESS (see below.)

The Westin Michigan Ave (the other Westin property in Chicago) does have Michigan Ave view rooms for $119 on PRICELINE, but I'll say to really request a Michigan Ave view on a high floor. I had this upgrade a while back and it was kinda/sorta Michigan Ave but more just looking at the front  of the hotel and the base of the Hancock.

On PRICELINE EXPRESS, I'm seeing:

4.5* Gold Coast (link, please confirm that the correct dates are showing on the landing page after clicking the link)

Amenities: Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

Price: $81

Thoughts: This would be a possible match for the W Lakeshore. The issue with lake view is that it is a paid upgrade. You may get a city view looking the other way, although in that case I'd suggest trying to get a high floor. While a bit out of the way, certainly a very nice area and the savings over other options could go towards taxi.

4* River North (link, please confirm the correct dates are showing)

amenities:Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

price: $59

thoughts: This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported, but would be a possible match for the Hotel Chicago. If this is the Hotel Chicago, then certainly a great deal vs the regular rate. However, with this there's the risk you won't get a view. Still, at nearly half off, is it worth the risk? Given the location, I can't imagine that there's any rooms here that are facing a wall, it's just that some may not have too exciting/that much of a view.

4* Downtown-Millennium Park (link, please confirm correct dates)

amenities: Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities

price: $82

thoughts: This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported, but would be a possible match for the Swissotel. If the Swissotel, that would be a very promising result, as while lake view is an upgrade, there's a fair amount of rooms that look at the river. So, while a discount reservation wouldn't guarantee anything, a fair amount of rooms here do have views.

HOTWIRE:

4* Navy Pier $75, Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby

>>> Possible match for the Sheraton. 

4* Navy Pier, $107 Free Internet, Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Accessible parking, Roll-in shower

>>> This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported. It may be something else, but a guess is that perhaps the Wyndham Riverfront may have been downgraded to 4* since last reported.

4.5* Navy Pier $97 Restaurant, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Spa, Childrens Activities, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

>>> Not yet ID'd/reported. A guess would be the Fairmont, but an upgraded Hard Rock since last reported would be a maybe, as well.

Again, views are not guaranteed unless stated as such as an option on a PRICELINE EXPRESS listing with bed choice (and unfortunately I'm not seeing any for these dates) and bed type is not guaranteed unless listed.

Please let us know if you have any questions before booking.

In terms of breakfast, the Pittsfield Cafe is an interesting choice. That is a cafe inside a historic office building and it's really kind of remarkable that a cafe in a major city with little indication of its existence on the exterior of the building (I think there may be a small sign, but that's about it) has lasted for many decades. I ate there as a kid, family had eaten there decades prior, etc. This is wholly and completely the definition of an old school city diner on every level. Not everyone's cup-of-tea, but more about the feel and history of the place (as well as the beautiful lobby outside.) Very much feels like a preserved part of history as they don't make places like this anymore. Again, while not going to be for everyone, really a taste of history as it's been tucked away in this historic building for decades (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d1025120-Reviews-Pittsfield_Cafe-Chicago_Illinois.html). It used to be cash only, but I think they take cards now. The other classic piece of yesteryear downtown is in the West Loop, Lou Mitchell's (http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/) - which does not take cash and has stood the test of time since the 1920's. 

Wildberry (https://www.yelp.com/biz/wildberry-pancakes-and-cafe-chicago-2) is a highly popular breakfast option right nearby, on the North edge of Millennium Park. Great option, often busy. Xoco (https://www.yelp.com/biz/xoco-chicago) is a great breakfast option - this casual option from Rick Bayless is also well worth a look for lunch and dinner, too. Lyfe Kitchen is a small, newer chain (http://www.lyfekitchen.com/location/il/river-north/breakfast/) that I like quite a bit and that has multiple locations downtown.

Once you book a hotel, I'd be happy to then make further recommendations based on location.

Again, definitely let me know if you have any hotel questions prior to booking. There are some very good deals for these dates, but when using the discount services, views are not guaranteed nor are bed choices.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and all of the recommendations!! The will help tremendously as we make our decision. If booking through Priceline or Hotwire, I'll be sure to post what we got.

Looking forward to checking out some of the breakfast recommendations as well. Greatly appreciated!!

I booked today - 4 star millennium park and ended up with the Hyatt Regency, guaranteed king bed, at $61/night. I'm happy with the result! 

Here were the amenities: 

Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Golf nearby, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower.

I used the HOTWIRE link from this site.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to do to close this request or if you need any additional info. Thanks again!

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like an excellent deal for a Downtown hotel.. glad to see you're pleased wit the otucome.

Thank you for using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase and sharing your win, helping us tweak the Hotwire Hotel List with the new amenity set for this property.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]