Priceline Hotel: Please help with NYC 04/26-05/03 (willing to split) 4*

ExpatAndrea
By ExpatAndrea,
in

Thanks so much for all of the info on this site. After doing a lot of research, this is my ideal situation:

We'll be in NY 04/26 (Weds) - 05/03 (Weds). We're willing to split our stay because it looks like that's the only way we can use Priceline.

We've split our stay 04/26 - 04/30 and 04/30 - 05/03, which is Weds - Sun/Sun-Weds (I don't really care how we split them, I just thought doing a whole weekend was easier to get a bid accepted).

I'm willing to bid up to $160 for a 4* in MTW, UM/CPS (first choices) or MTE/UES (I know some of those are long shots).

I'm also willing to bid up to $140 for a 3* in MTE (but I wouldn't want a 3* in any of the other areas).

Bidding history:

Yesterday, I bid for 4*s starting at $120 in MTE & increasing incrementally up to $150 including zones MTE, UM/CPS, UES.

Today I bid starting at a 3* for $110 in MTE & increasing incrementally up to $135 including zones MTE, MTS, UES, UM/CPS, UWS (rebid zones).

I'm not entirely sure I understand the whole process of how to maximize the number of bids I can make in one session. I understand the rebidding zones idea & I THINK I have it right, but would love some advice on how to proceed. Thank you!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First, i don't think you have your re-bid zones correct. UES is not a re-bid zone at the 3* level.... nor is MTS.

For starters, have you read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained?

I think you're next step is to list each of the NYC zones and list the highest star rating available in each zone, as described in the above link. If you're confused or don't understand dont' get discouraged, asked for help... but i think you need to take a step backwards before moving forward.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oh, sorry. That was just me playing with fire, throwing caution to the wind with a $140 bid. I figured that, while I completely understand that I could get ANY hotel in the zones/star categories I have selected, since I have never seen a 3* awarded for UES, for $140 it wouldn't hurt to add it as a zone (the risk being, of course, that there is a bad 3* in the UES that I win with that bid!). The same goes for MTS -- it's not a free rebid zone, but I thought ... well, it's not my first choice, but given that the worst case scenario was that I'd get a 3* in MTS, I'd throw it in.

I was just sort of testing the system, gambling with my vacation! (Don't tell my husband...)

I will stop playing around now!

To recap, my serious choices are:

* Up to $160 for a 4* in MTW, UM/CPS (first choices) or MTE/UES (I know most of those are long shots).

* Up to $140 for a 3* in MTE

If bidding on 4*, re-bid zones are UES, UWS (they have no 4 stars)

If bidding on 3*, re-bid zone is UWS (no 3 stars)

Thank you very much!

P.S. As you can see, though, I am very fuzzy on the PROPER strategy for the whole bidding process (i.e. given my goals & limits, where should I start & how should I proceed). I was trying in the beginning to replicate the steps I'd seen advised here, but I'm not at all sure how close I came ...

Thanks again for your help!

I'm not very confident your limit will be enough, but this is what i would try...

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160.

Once the above (likely) fails, i'm not sure if you want to then try for your complete stay at a 3* property or split your bids to stay at a 4* property.

Let us know and we'll then advise further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks - I'm already convinced that trying to get the whole stay won't work. I was planning to split them into:

1. 04/26 (Weds) to 04/30 (Sun), and

2. 04/30 (Sun) to 05/03 (Weds).

Ideally with one stay at a 4* and the other at a 3*, but not necessary.

Is that what you meant? I'm willing to try whatever you think might work best. I will use the recommended link.

Assuming you have time and don't mind the bidding process (some think it's fun, others not so much) i would try the above for the following date combinations (you can skip the full stay if you want, but i would try anyway as nothing to lose):

4/26-5/3

4/27-5/3

4/26-5/2

4/28-5/3

4/26-5/1

4/29-5/3

4/26-4/30

4/30-5/3

I would try the above combinations at the 4* level first and then if you don't have success (which may very well be likely) you can repeat for a 3* property which we'll suggest if the above fails.

Thanks again - I'm bidding away (12 bids down, many, many more to go).

Just wanted to check 2 things:

1. Am I doing it right? I'm picking one date range and bidding:

* MTE,

* then adding rebid zone & adding $5

* then adding rebid zone & adding $5,

* then closing,

then changing my dates and going through the above steps again. This way, I can check all the date combos up to $130 before adding another real zone & going up in price. Is that right?

2. Do you think it's a waste of time to split the dates in the middle of the weekend (e.g. Weds - Sat and Sat-Weds)? I think I remember reading somewhere that it's harder to win a bid if you don't book the whole weekend?

Thanks again!

There is nothing wrong with the way you're doing it (assuming you have time on your hands as it would be more time consuming than shooting straight thru... although the way you are doing it could save you a few extra dollars)

You could try a 4/26-4/29 split after all the other dates listed above, but i think the first date of your stay is a dfficult one so doubt it would be successful if all the others failed as well.

The IBS (Beauty Salon and Spa) shows are being held at Javits from 4/29 until 5/02 (with another show, the Invcentives show, opening when the beauty salon show closes). Given the groups of dates being looked at, this may partially explain some of the tightness in the room supply.

New York City has 71,000 hotel rooms, its doubtful that a single trade show can cause such a tight supply

True enough on the surface, but when you factor in that the bidder is restricting him/herself to 4* rooms in the midtown zones, that reduces the potential pool. The fact that the show organizers are likely holding large room blocks at the very 4* hotels that often provide room inventory to Priceline shrinks the pool even further.

You're right in saying that it is the rare show or convention that (essentially) sells out NYC on its own (one example would be the 2004 Republican Convention). But even a moderate-sized show, combined with the higher occupancy rates brought about by the steadily-improving business travel market, can impact the narrow pool of rooms (4* Midtown) that ExpatAndea is trying to acquire.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]