Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Springfield (North) Carpenter Street Hotel

siuwed
By siuwed,
in

Total price for this hotel came out to $111.00 PLUS 25.00 in taxes and "Fees".  All hotel prices in the area were double and triple the usual due to the State Fair being in town.   On the Hotel website they had the same room for 114.00 plus 10.00 in taxes, PLUS FREE Tickets to the State Fair.    HOTWIRE was MORE EXPENSIVE than using the hotel's own website.    This has happened to me a few times now.    I have noticed that since Expedia bought all the other sites such as Hotwire, the prices have steadily climbed and not budged below a certain threshold.   I would be hard pressed to use HOTWIRE again after this experience for reasons detailed below:

The hotel itself is nothing fancy, it's on the North Side of Downtown Springfield, about two blocks from the Lincoln Museum.   Parking lot overflowed at night and people had to park next door.    Free breakfast is nothing fancy, but it's free.   The hotel itself is plain, pretty much clean in appearance if you don't look too closely.    Toilet had urine on sides and around bottom, headboard had handprints and smudges, there were things on floor that vacuum missed such as food crumbs.  

Overall this is probably more a two star hotel, but I also noticed PRICELINE and HOTWIRE ratings are bumped up a bit from other sites, they are definitely pushing it.  I spent a half hour on the phone with Hotwire, they offered to give me a "one time" rebook for another hotel, but for a lot more money in the same star rating so no help there.   

I am pretty much done with this company, maybe Priceline, but I will check actual Hotels first every time.     I am posting this in order that others may be aware that this hotel is now in the mix and that  you can probably get a better deal DIRECTLY THROUGH THE HOTEL WEBSITE. 

Sorry to hear this property wasn't a value for you for this trip, but i suspect with the county fair in town hotels felt little/no need to discount too deeply (or if it all).

Feel free to ask the board for help before any future opaque travel purchases and we will try to assist with obtaining a more satisfactory result.

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities HOTWIRE shows for this property, including any 'accessible' amenities, when viewing this purchase using the MY ACCOUNT >> MY TRIPS link on the top right of their home page... we can then properly add this hotel to the Hotwire Hotel List for this area.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks, hope your future stays are more to your liking.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]