Hong Kong JW Marriott HK Island West

Chris26WI
By Chris26WI,
in

Stayed one night here after four nights at the Sheraton in Kowloon; though it's on the other side of the Harbour, it's just a 2-station-trip on the MRT from the Sheraton (TST to Admirality). After arrival in Pacific Place from the MRT downstairs it was a little bit hard to find the entry of the JW because it's in quite a small corner of the mall's central lobby. From this hotel entry you have to take the elevator to the 2nd (?) floor to get in the lobby of the JW - a nice lobby with a large glass front giving a nice view towards the harbour.

Check-In was fast and friendly, instead of key cards they use sort of programmable keys - never saw that before, interesting. The room was a "city view" on one of the middle floors (levels) and every room feels a little bit like a corner room; we could get a side harbour view in the distance which was quite nice. The layout of the room is a little bit strange as there's a corner in the entry area which you have to pass to get to the room - which gives you a (little) impression of a small appartment. However, the room itself is not very large, about the same size as the Sheraton one's. There's a comfortable chair, a desk etc. - standard equipment. The TV is not in front of the bed (the bed is opposite of the windows), but at the left, so you have to turn your head when watching TV from the bed (though you can turn the TV a little bit). TV was ok, and offered the usual cable channels of HK.

They brought chinese tea and fruits to the room after check-in which is a nice welcome. You have to use the control panel next to the bed to open the windows which is quite nice and conveniant. The bed was comfortable too. There's high-speed internet access too, of course, but for a distinct charge, as usual.

The bath room was quite large in comparison to the room itself and had a separate shower cubicle, which was nice. Towels/shampoo/lotions etc. were of course available and of course of good quality.

I liked the location of the JW Marriott, as you just have to get out of the hotel to be in the nice Pacific Place mall with shops and restaurants, and you have the MRT just downstairs as well. You can easily walk to the Hong Kong park from the hotel, takes maybe 5 minutes.

Check-out was just as fast as check-in, nothing special however, but the staff was friendly. I didn't check out the pool and health club etc. due to the short time staying in this hotel but the pool looked nice from the distance.

The rooms reminded me very much of the Marriott Singapore - very similar rooms, and very similar furniture. A little bit outdated maybe already, more classical/traditional than the Sheraton. I personally prefer the design of the Sheraton, but well, I liked the JW's room as well.

The JW Marriott is a quite nice hotel in a very nice location - hard to say which one I prefer - the Sheraton or the JW Marriott... both are really nice hotels and I enjoyed my stay at the JW Marriott - as I did enjoy my stay at the Sheraton.

Photos

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically, several years ago (before the introduction of priceline in Asia), I also split my stay between the Sheraton and the JW Marriott in Hong Kong (I think I had only enough frequent stay credits for a few nights in each!). I agree with the above poster that BOTH hotels are excellent and both are well located. At the time, the Marriott seemed a little newer, but that hotel is probably aging a bit now while the Sheraton (to my recollection) has now been refurbished. I remember using the pool facilities at both hotels, and they're both great (Sheraton on the roof, Marriott on a mid-level deck). Hong Kong is the only city in the world where I'd routinely pay more for a view (of the Harbor, if new construction doesn't block it), so try to sweet talk the clerk. If I had to pick one to stay at, it would probably be the Marriott because you are on H.K. island and the nice Pacific Place mall is right downstairs, but really getting either is like winning the jackpot at Priceline's low H.K. rates.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]