Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile - Water Tower) Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago

Lectoid
By Lectoid,
in

Visiting Chicago in mid Aug for 4 nights. I've bid up to $140 for a 4* in Millennium Park and Magnificent Mile with no luck. I realize that's pretty low, but I have seen others get the same for less.

Am I bidding too early? 

I looked a history of rejected and accepted bids, but the dates are from last year, nothing recent.

Welcome to Betterbidding.

You're definitely not bidding too early. Something may be going on during all/part of your stay. Please confirm your exact date/s of travel and desired budget and we would be happy to offer suggestions on how to proceed.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

If you use our PRICELINE maps you can see a history of winning bids in each zone and filter those results by month(s) and/or days of the week and see the range of accepted bids (as well a when the date of the last win for that hotel)... doing so you will see that it can often cost more than $140 during this time frame.

If you post your specific dates we will be in a better position to advise if you're close and/or what it might take to be successful at this point in time.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply.

Dates are 8/17 to 8/21.

I am realistic and would have honestly been shocked if I got a 4* for $140, but scrolling down and seeing a lot of 3.5 and 4's for around $100 made me wonder if I was missing something. I looked at the event calendar for that weekend and don't see anything special.

Any interest in the Hilton Chicago (Loop-Grant Park zone) for $135/nite?  Or the 4.5* James Chicago fir $165/nite?

If you want to continue bidding on PRICELINE what is your maximum bid at this point in time?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Rates can vary considerably from day-to-day. In this case, it might be the air/water show (20th/21st), which never really attracted much of an audience beyond locals before, but rates have seemed to go up on the air/water show dates in the last couple of years. If you search the 17th-19th separately, rates are noticeably lower than if you search for the 19th-21st separately. 

For the 17th-19th, I'm seeing a 4.5* in the River North area on HOTWIRE w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Spa for $117.

==>> Possible match for the Godfrey. This is a very nice property in a superb location in River North; my only note would be to request a high floor away from the bar on the 4th floor.

For the 17th-19th, I'm also seeing a 4.5* on Priceline Express for $118 (make sure to confirm the correct dates on the landing page after clicking the link) w/Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center, No Smoking Rooms/Facilities.

==>> Possible match for the James.

19th-21st, I'm seeing a 4.5* in the Navy Pier area for $153 w/Pet friendly, Boutique hotel, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access, Tennis nearby, Spa services, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower.

==>> Possible match for the Fairmont.

Per night average = $135, both properties well-located. The cheapest 4.5* on HOTWIRE when looking at all dates together is $160.

Let us know your thoughts and if we can be of any further assistance at all.

I did know about the air/water show and used to live near the beach and agree that it's not usually an even that brings out of towners

Would it be an issue to book the 17th-19th, see where it gets me like you mentioned above. Then just buy the 19th-21st at whatever usual rate I get at the same hotel? Assuming the total cost is less.

And sorry, but I should have noted that don't need a room for 21st, that's the day we'll be checking out.

1 hour ago, Lectoid said:

Would it be an issue to book the 17th-19th, see where it gets me like you mentioned above. Then just buy the 19th-21st at whatever usual rate I get at the same hotel? Assuming the total cost is less.

No issue with this plan, other than if PRICELINE EXPRESS / HOTWIRE rates for the 19-21 are high, i suspect that 'regular' rates are going to be quite a bit higher than you may think as well.

You can use our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com to get a very good overview of rates in the area for your full date range as well as each subset date range (use the filters on the left side of the page after running your search and then zoom in/out on the map) as well as typing the names of the hotels above to easily filter to just these properties.

Let us know if you find anything of interest and how you'd like to proceed.

Excellent deal for a busy period and location couldn't be better.

Can you confirm the complete list of amenities showing with the listing before purchase? This information is available under the trip information in your HOTWIRE account.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

2 hours ago, Lectoid said:

This is what I saw before I bid on the hotel.

Can you please list the amenities that are associated with this property when using the MY ACCOUNT >> MY TRIPS link near the top right of the HOTWIRE home page.

The current HOTWIRE interface does not show a complete set of amenities which is why it's recommended and suggested that you use the EASY VIEW TAB of the BiddingHelper.com tool and click the GREEN 'See All Amenities' button next to the listing to see the complete amenity set before your purchase.

Thank you, enjoy your stay.

We can leave it with the amenities above, but for the future...

If you go do your search at BiddingHelper.com, go to the EASY VIEW TAB, and click the GREEN 'Full Amenities Click Here' button next to this offer (currently priced at $134/nite, your price may differ up/down by a few dollars), do you see the following amenities:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower

If you then go to your account at HOTWIRE and click the MY ACCOUNT >> MY TRIPS section you don't see the full amenity set as immediately above? (some many be listed as icons and not as text, which may be why you didn't notice them previously)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]