Newbie in need of some help

SuperOwl86
By SuperOwl86,
in

Hi just wondering If anyone can offer any advice on what I should be doing as this is my first time looking at HOTWIRE and PRICELINE.

This will be my first visit to New York so ideally looking for somewhere close to a subway station so it is easy to get around. Will be staying 11/15/16 checking out 11/20/16.

Budget wise was looking at around £110 a night. is that even realistic budget? Would like something between 3 and 4 stars and it would only be for one adult.

I think that is most info that is needed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to Betterbidding.

$110GBP is around $142USD at current exchange rates.

Do you have any particular plans that would lean one area to be more convenient for your plans as a whole than another? The issue with being near a subway with bidding is that you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the chosen zone at the star rating picked, which may not be near a subway.

There are not too many listings under $142, but one that I'm seeing is a 4* on HOTWIRE w/Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower in the Times Square North zone for $134.

==>> This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported, but my guess is that the Hotel Manhattan at Times Square has been upgraded to 4* since last being reported to the board.

Please confirm which zones would be acceptable (as well as if bidding would be of interest, given that you may not necessarily wind up near a subway) and we would be happy to offer further thoughts/suggestions.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

No I do not have any plans at the moment. Just to visit some of the sites really. Would I be right in thinking if I am not close to a Subway station that they is plenty of buses around the island? The subway is not that big a deal if they is buses around.

Bidding is something I would be happy to do. Is this the best time to be bidding or would it be closer to the time of the trip?

I'm local to the area so few comments:

1) preferred method of travel in NYC is via subway.  There are times when taking the bus makes sense, but anything above ground is subject to traffic (which an often be bumper-to-bumper) which is why the subway is usually the quickest and most reliable.  There are some part of the city that are not convenient to the subway (usually the western most and eastern most edges of the island) where you will more likely walk to the subway OR take a bus to a subway station that would be convenient to wherever it is that you are ultimately heading.

2) historically this is an expensive time of year in NYC and $142/nite would be on the lower end of what would typically be accepted.  However, we at the moment be seeing lower rates than what is usual as the stronger dollar (as we probably don't need to tell you :wink:) may have hotels a little concerned if demand will be as strong this year as in previous years with fewer overseas travelers (how this supply/demand ultimately works and if fewer overseas travelers actually come to the US nobody can say at this point).

I agree with AaronJB's guess above of the HOTWIRE hotel being an upgraded Hotel Manhattan at Times Square, which is just an 'ok' hotel in a very good location (lots of both subways and buses nearby)

Near your budget i'm also see what looks like the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side for $141/nite.  The Lower East Side is a little more 'out of the way' so not as convenient than the hotel above, but it's in a very up and coming neighborhood with lots of new restaurant, bars, cafes, etc.... and the Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side in particular gets excellent reviews.  There is a nearby subway station, but depending upon where you are heading, it may (likely) require a transfer.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

With the additional information and options(s) above let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there and advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]