Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Paris (Saint Germain - Luxembourg Gardens - Invalides) Villa Luxembourg

vantravel
By vantravel,
in

Free internet, boutique hotel, internet access, pet friendly, business hotel.

This was the first time I've ever bid on a room in Priceline or Hotwire having no clue what it would be. I was unable to find anyone identifying this hotel as it seems to have popped up in the past few years.

I'm starting to think now that hotels which have bad reviews like to go on Hotwire to sell rooms, otherwise they would not be able to.

I chose this hotel over the 4* Montparnasse one because I thought it would be closer to the centre of the city. Unfortunately it is situated right on the furthest border of the area. In other words, it is as far as possible from the centre as can be and still be in the Saint Germain zone. Some of the reviews are downright terrible for this hotel on Tripadvisor. I hope that the reviewers are just the ones who were disgruntled and that the majority of guests found the hotel to be satisfactory. So while I am disappointed with paying more money for a lower star rated hotel with a lower (80%) approval rating simply because I wanted a better location (and it wasn't much better), I am hoping for the best. The consensus seems to be that it is a tired hotel with some mould problems and small rooms.

I am posting so that others can make an informed decision as it appears that this listing has been here for at least the last two years.

8 hours ago, vantravel said:

This was the first time I've ever bid on a room in Priceline or Hotwire having no clue what it would be.

It sounds like you have made other purchases in the 5 years since joining the board?  If so, it would be appreciated if you started to share all your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information, just as you hope to benefit from those who have posted before you.:wink:

In the spirit of the board, it would also be appreciated if you followed-up your previous Hotwire Victoria hotel thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.  Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

8 hours ago, vantravel said:

I'm starting to think now that hotels which have bad reviews like to go on Hotwire to sell rooms, otherwise they would not be able to.

Unless there is a special even taking place in the area, the average hotel typically has less than 70% occupancy levels (often far less), so even the best hotels often have empty rooms on any given nite, which they offer to the opaque providers at a deep discount.  Many HOTWIRE properties also show a TA rating which can often be used to gauge how 'good' of a property it is... there are many HOTWIRE offers that show a 4.0 or 4.5 TA rating which would make them excellent choices, but i believe this one shows a 3.0/5.0 TA rating which is not very good and could have been the first tip-off that maybe you should continue to research the property or look elsewhere.

Feel free to ask the board for help before your next opaque hotel purchase and we will try to assist with an outcome that is more to your liking.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hope you enjoy your stay and you find the hotel and location to be better than expected.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hmmm... my first posting in a while. And you decide that now is a good time to scold me for not posting more often. So you know better in the future, scolding someone does not encourage them to post more. It has the opposite effect. I even said in my post that I was posting to help others as this property was not identified and has not been for several years. This was the start of my posting more often. I'd read that people are posting less often on these boards, and it seems nobody can figure out why.

I have noticed often the attitude of the replies when people are seeking help. They'll ask for help identifying a hotel, and then a snarky reply saying, well, you need to give us more information, you dolt. Did you notice that they never write back in reply? I can literally see the responses as being face palms. Not encouraging to any posters, especially first time posters.

Scolding me is like telling a blood donor who goes in for the first time in many years that they should have come in more often. It's hard enough getting people to donate blood. Why would you lay the guilt trip on them when they do finally take the time to come in?

Also, fyi, if you think this is the only board that I use to make my decisions, you are incorrect. I use at least three other sites to help reveal the identity of the hotel. Also, a Tripadvisor rating of 3/5 is acceptable when you're only paying $126 for a room big enough for 4 in Paris. You were suggesting that I should have figured that was the tip-off.

Here is my follow-up to the hotel in Victoria as you requested. This is why I did not post again.

We booked a hotel through Expedia instead as it was more certain. Then we cancelled it and decided to have a staycation. I hope my reply has added to this board. In my opinion, posting that would not have been necessary. I already thanked anyone who replied who helped me, and that was not enough for you? I will post it in the topic now.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]