Priceline Hotel: USE/USW/SOMA 3.5/4* Bidding advice

Armoured_Bear
By Armoured_Bear,
in

Hi,

I'm a Scot, based in Switzerland and I'm going to be spending a week in San Francisco, 27.3.16 - 02.3.16 (I fly home early on the 3rd so I though I'd get a room near the airport for the final night)

I have provisionally booked Hotel Carlton for $140 per night which is a decent deal, the hotel looks great apart from the supposed paper thin walls and noise.

I can cancel before Saturday 26th March for free so I was thinking of giving priceline a try, I thought that I could maybe get a similar or even nicer hotel a little bit cheaper.

My friends are staying at Villa Florence and Hotel Vertigo in USE/USW so I thought that I should concentrate on USE/USW and SOMA to be reasonably close to them.

From reading this great forum it seems that it's recommended to stick with 4* in USW and drop to 3* or 3.5* in USE and SOMA.

If I follow this, am I likely to get something closer to $100, e.g. $120 or is that unrealistic?

Is it worth splitting my stay up in 2 different hotels or better just to book for the entire week?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

A few points...

I assume your dates are March 27-April 2 (i think a typo above as you have your check-out date as March 2)

The Hotel Carlton is in PRICELINE's Japan Town - Civic Center North zone, so if you're only intending to bid on the USE, UWS, and/or SOMA zones, you're not really making an apples-to-apples comparison.

Regardless, at current rates i'm doubtful that you will be able to beat your back-up hotel (i'm assuming you booked the Carlton as a back-up weeks/months ago and that rates have gone up since then). 

We would be happy to suggest a strategy for whatever you would like to try, but at current rates, for one of the three zones you've listed, i think you're more likely looking at $145-$165 for a 3* or better... closer to $165-$185 for a 4* hotel.

For the future note that our sister site RefundableRates.com offers a great interface for finding a back-up reservation.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts as to how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]