Is Priceline losing the battle?

ThEBoB
By ThEBoB,
in

There haven't been any recent changes with the Expedia / HOTWIRE relationship.  A brief history...

After PRICELINE launched their 'Name Your Own Price' business model, Expedia launched a similar competing product.  However, PRICELINE had secured a patent on the hotel bidding process, and Expedia needed to change their business model... thus HOTWIRE was born.  HOTWIRE is still owned by Expedia but they operate (as do all the other properties owned by Expedia) as separate entities.

When HOTWIRE was first launched they were consistently always more expensive than what could be obtained by bidding on PRICELINE.  Bidding on PRICELINE is still almost always the least expensive way to book, but within the 'opaque' world, users still like to know a little more information about the hotel they may receive and have been using HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS a bit more often.  These two services are often very close in price, but when there is a large difference, it can often be attributed to the two services using a different star rating for the hotels being offered.  In other words, if HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel for $60 and PRICELINE EXPRESS a 4* for $90, it's often the case that the underlying 4* hotel is rated 3.5* by PRICELINE, and therefore not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare, thank you for the explanation. I like to bid on PRICELINE, but lately it has been a burden to win a bid at a price lower than HOTWIRE, and since in hotwire I can get more information about the hotel I will be staying, I rather use HOTWIRE than PRICELINE EXPRESS, that why I'm feeling priceline is losing the battle, and if they get kick out of business, prices will be higher for us.

We have gotten good at guessing both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS properties, so even though PRICELINE EXPRESS may show fewer amenities, we can usually have good insight if they are the same property or not.  We're site neutral so it really comes down to whichever offers a better price (or a better hotel in the instances when we think the offers are different)... feel free to ask for help on any PRICELINE EXPRESS offers in the future if you think you'll be able to save a few extra dollars vs. the HOTWIRE offering.

Although 'Name Your Own Price' was their initial product, PRICELINE has diversified their product line (thru acquisition and other hotel booking properties they own) that them going out of business is not a realistic fear, imo.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]