Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Loop - Theater District) Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan

lanestar7
By lanestar7,
in

It has been awhile since I've used a strategy on PRICELINE and they have added a new neighborhood in Chicago: Downtown/Riverwalk. I really want a 4* hotel in this zone, preferably the Virgin. I did get the Virgin last fall on HOTWIRE but it was $181 so I'm hoping spring prices are a bit lower. 

I am traveling 3/5-3/6 and would like to pay under $150. I have been watching HOTWIRE and PRICELINE EXPRESS bids for this neighborhood and they seem to be in the 118-250 range. Do you think starting my bidding higher gives me a better chance of scoring the Virgin or will I just pay more to get the same hotel I would've gotten at a lower bid? I also can't remember all the rules for free re-bidding. I am going to wait until next week and then start with a 4* in zone 4 at $90 with 6 rebids up to $120 and then I will try again the next day, starting at $120 and use the same method up to $150. What are the factors I have to change to bid again in the same day? Do you think waiting until closer to the day I need is a better or worse strategy? 

Welcome (officially) to BetterBidding!

9 minutes ago, lanestar7 said:

I did get the Virgin last fall on HOTWIRE

Sine you were a member during the time of this purchase, it would be appreciated if you started to share your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information, just as you are looking to benefit from those who have posted before you. :wink:

With PRICELINE bidding there is no way to target, or avoid, a specific hotel... you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you choose.  It is not recommended to bid higher in hopes of receiving a certain property, as you could just as easily overbid for the same hotel you would have won for less.

If you're trying to target (or avoid) a specific hotel, or require certain amenities, then PRICELINE EXPRESS or HOTWIRE would be a better, although slightly more expensive, option.

You can see the re-bid rules here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, but it seems like you have a good understanding already as you are correct that there are currently SIX re-bid zones when bidding 4* in Chicago (feel free to confirm the six re-bid zones with the board and always doublecheck just before you start bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked).  Also, you can now place the same bid every 2 hours, no longer 24 hours, so after you go thru one bidding strategy you can wait 2 hours and repeat the entire process again, if you'd like.

There is no way to know if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip.  If your plans are firm i would begin bidding now using a maximum bid price that you know would be a good deal for these dates... if you're accepted be happy and don't look back.  If rejected, repeat in the days ahead and increase your bid price a bit each day.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we will advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the fast reply! Do you want to know any details about my Virgin win or is it too late? 

Your link to HOTWIRE Express is showing two 4* options for only one dollar difference. Below are the descriptions, can you help identify them? I might just go this route if I have an idea of what these are. I think the Virgin is showing up as $186 which is more than I want to spend now. 

Both Navy Pier - Millennium Park

$106 -70% rating FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Restaurant(s), Business center, Self-service laundry, Internet access, Accessible for visually impaired, Accessible for hearing impaired, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

OR 

$105 - 95% rating FULL AMENITIES: Pet friendly, Indoor pool(s), Smoke-free rooms, Fitness center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business center, Internet access

12 minutes ago, lanestar7 said:

Do you want to know any details about my Virgin win or is it too late? 

Yes, please add to the board as a NEW TOPIC using the green SHARE YOUR WIN at the top/bottom of this thread OR using the blue REPORT A WIN in the FindFast section at the top of the board.  This will still be helpful to others as they research past year-over-year wins when using our Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

For the HOTWIRE offers above, best guess/comments for each:

$106 -70%

--> Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan

$105 - 95%

--> Sheraton Grand Chicago

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You were correct about the Club Quarters, I went ahead and purchased through HOTWIRE for $106 because I bid up to $115 on Priceline for that zone and didn't win anything. I will post this as a win in the Hotwire section since this thread is for PRICELINE- is that the correct procedure? Thank you for your help with this, Club Quarters is only 2 city blocks from my destination so I am thankful for your knowledge of the amenities in identifying the hotel. 

Congratulations on your success!

In the future you can post your win in the same thread using the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page (it's gone now as we just used it to report your win and it can only be used once)... this will give you a form to fill-out to edit the topic title to report your win and a text box to provide other details of your purchase.  Upon submission the entire thread will automatically be moved to the correct section of the board.

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and that this will work well for your plans this trip... we're happy to have helped! :smile:

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]