Priceline Hotel: San Francisco 15 - 19 April

flyingporkpie
By flyingporkpie,
in

Hi there folks,

Firstly I would like to thank in advance for any help I may receive. 

We are a couple of Kiwis from New Zealand who are really looking forward to a well-earned trip to the states. We are however shocked by the cost of accommodation in San Francisco and we are trying to save as much money as possible. So we thought we might try priceline to get a good price.

I must confess I have looked over all the boards and FAQs on this site but I find it quite hard to get my head around the whole concept of bidding so apologies in advance if I seem a little slow.

As said we want to save as much money as possible and therefore do not care about stars nor location. But, as we are innocent young naive New Zealanders, we do want to make sure we are in a safe neighborhood and not out by the airport. Hopefully our lack of particular wants will make it easier on you dear folks as opposed to harder. But if you do want a preference anywhere in the Union Street area would be preferred.

Now for the rub. I have been charged with trying to find one room accommodation for the 15-19 April for less than 85USD. Now please let me know if this is an impossible ask. 

I am not even sure what to expect in terms of pricing per night, but most I have looked at are a lot more expensive. Also, would it be better to wait closer to the date, or should I get it booked now? I really don't know what the better approach would be.

Thanks in advance

Flying_porkpie

Welcome to BetterBidding!

At current rates your budget is likely too low for San Francisco... maybe if you were willing to accept a very low star rated hotel, but i wouldn't recommend it in this area, as you could land something what ruins this leg of your trip, and you can often do much better if you can stretch your budget just a little further.

For example,if you are willing to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf zone, there is this 4 Star Hotel for $117/nite (confirm your dates on the landing page) with Indoor or Outdoor Pool, Pets Allowed, Restaurant, Free Internet, Business Center, Fitness Center... best guess for this property would be the Hyatt At Fisherman's Wharf, which gets good reviews (and the regular rate is $225/nite for your dates); so assuming we're correct this would be a good value, even if a little beyond your target budget and not in your first choice of location (although a touristy area)

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So how is it that you would like to proceed?

Do you want to try bidding for a hotel in all acceptable zones to see if you're able to land something at $100 or below?  If so, do you want to start at the 4* level and go up to $100 and if rejected lower the star rating from there... OR do you want to start at a lower star level in hope of a lower price?  What are all acceptable zones (by PRICELINE name)?

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi there, dont know if other members are encouraged to reply to posts or not, I have just signed up to the betterbiding.com - I guess if that is not the generally accepted standard I will be notified

Anyway flying_porkpie, I have traveled to California (LA and San Diego) back in 2013 and PRICELINE worked just fine - getting on average a 50% discount to standard room rates. What I was trying to tell you is you should definitely pay a little more and get a better and safer location than saving 10 bucks a night. Another thing you should consider is driving a car or just walking in the city center. This is an important consideration - as you might get far better deals on the outskirts of the city - but again, mind you of the bad neighborhood or areas, you dont want to wake up in an unfriendly little neighborhood asking yourselves how on earth did you end up there .

Look up standard room rates in a specific areas and then just come on here and use the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE link to name your own price, Goodluck! 

Hey guys, Thanks for your advice. Sorry for late reply work got a wee bit crazy.

@thereuare  lets start at a lower star level in hope of a better price. The zones we are happy with are in order of preference: Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square East - Nob Hill, Financial Distric, Japantown, Marina - Lombard St. Thank you so much for your help!

@radutruta thanks for the tips will take them on board!

39 minutes ago, flyingporkpie said:

The zones we are happy with are in order of preference: Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square East - Nob Hill, Financial Distric, Japantown, Marina - Lombard St.

What is more important... your zone preference or price?

In other words, are you willing to pay more to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf zone vs. (say) the Financial District... or is the goal the least expensive hotel in any of these zones at your minimum star rating?  What star rating is it that you do want to start with?

So to confirm your want to try for a 4* hotel in:

Fisherman's Wharf

Union Square East - Nob Hill

Financial Distric

Japantown, Marina - Lombard St.

... up to $100/nite

If rejected try at the 3.5* level up to $100.  If rejected try at the 3* level up to $100? If that is rejected we can discuss about lowering your star rating further.

Assuming this is correct, at the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zone (which you can use for all 3*, 3.5*, and 4* bidding).  If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE...

Select 4* Financial...

Select 4* Japantown...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf and USE...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Financial and Japantown...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $80, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf and Financial...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and Japantown...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf and Japantown...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* USE and Financial...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf, USE, Financial...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf, USE, Japantown...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Fishermans Wharf, USE, Financial, Japantown...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...
Bid $100

If the above is rejected close the browser, use this [url=http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=40]PRICELINE[/url] link to re-access PRICELINE, and re-try the same at the 3.5* level.  If that too is rejected once again re-access PRICELINE and repeat at the 3* level.

Any questions feel free to ask (especially confirming your re-bid zone if you're unsure)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]