Breaking up longer stays for savings

winterescape
By winterescape,
in

I did not see this tactic described in the FAQ and thought I would post it, feel free to delete it if it is redundant or covered elsewhere.

We are well aware that the price of  the hotels displayed in a search is date dependent. Changing your check-in and check-out dates can significantly affect the price.

I recently booked an 8 night Hotwire stay (used the link!)  After booking the non-cancelable and non-refundable reservation I discovered I could have saved $50 by making my 1 long stay into 2 shorter stays.  I attempted to use the Hotwire Low Price Guarantee (LPG)  without any success.

Here is what I observed:

As I shifted the dates around I discovered that had I booked 2 nights and then 6 nights the sum of my two stays would have been $50 less than booking 1 stay for 8 nights.  The other observation is that Hotwire prompts you to add nights before or after your booked stay, after you purchase your hotel.  I likely could have just booked the 6 nights and then just "extended my stay" and saved myself even more $$.

Small risk that availability could change and you could get 2 different hotels when splitting up your stay, however if you carefully monitor the hotel class, amenities, and TA ratings, this makes the probability of that occurring very low...

I recently booked an 8 night Hotwire stay (used the link!)

Thanks for your post.

Can you please add your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC so that others will be aware of your win when searching the topic titles on the board and in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

In your post please include the star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, dates of your stay and amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view all of this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

For more on the suggested tip above, see SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]