Priceline Hotel: 3* New York City (Central Park South) The Wellington

azriel101
By azriel101,
in

Thanksgiving week is usually a slow time for hotels in NYC (fewer business travelers who are often price insensitive)... but even with it being a slow time, sub-$100 usually isn't enough for a hotel near the end of the week like this (as the parade brings in lots of people as well, including those marching)

If your dates are flexible you can likely be successful early in the week (11/22-11/25 for example), but for these later dates you will have to increase your bid and/or stay outside the city and commute in.

Are your dates flexible at all? Are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is the goal the least expensive 3* or better for this trip? What is your maximum budget (per nite before fees/taxes)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know the information above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My dates aren't flexible but I don't need a fancy hotel. Just looking for a decent hotel within $110 per night if possible. There is a 2.5 star hotel available on Hot.wire for $107 as my backup. But that's in the SoHo TriBeCa area. I would prefer to stay around the midtown area as it give us easy access to a lot of places. I'm not hung up on a 4 star, I can go as low as a 2.5 star as long as the place is decent. So the goal would be to get a cheap hotel, in the middle of nyc

There is a 2.5 star hotel available on HOTWIRE for $107 as my backup.

Keep in mind that this HOTWIRE offer can disappear at anytime, so not really a good option for a long period of time.

How do you want to move forward... bid higher for a 3* hotel up to $110 OR start lower for a 2.5* property? (also, i assume your previous bidding up to $95 was at the 3* level?)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm going to try one last time tonight before booking the HOTWIRE option. 

My previous bidding for $95 was a 3* level. 

I would like to start lower for a 2.5* property. The hotel is really just for crashing in the night, a place to put bags and that's about it. As long as it's a decent place to spend the night and not the roach motel variety, I'm okay with that. Given that its NY, we plan to be out sightseeing all 2 days.

What do you suggest?

Are TS, MTE and MTW still the only acceptable zones? If so, i would bid as following:

When bidding 2.5* in NYC you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 2.5* TS...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 2.5* MTE...

Select 2.5* MTW...

Select 2.5* TS and MTE...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 2.5* TS and MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 2.5* TS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I must be unlucky.. I tried the same strategy and didn't win; added more areas like you said but my offer was rejected even at $110 for a 2 1/2 star

I first bid for TS at $90, rebid at $95, rejected

I then bid for MTE at $90, rebid at $95, rejected

continued the same strategy with MTW, MSG, HK, CPS, Empire state bldg area, Chelsea but no luck.

I then added them all and increased my bid but still didn't win

Should I just take the hotwire deal then? It's working out to $417 for 3 nights including taxes, fees. 

With a 3.5/5 tripadvisor rating, the Hot.wire listing gets decent reviews. Still, if you're going to be spending much of your time in Midtown, you may want to try bidding a bit higher, as getting from Soho to Midtown is time/effort/money.

I must be unlucky.. I tried the same strategy and didn't win; added more areas like you said but my offer was rejected even at $110 for a 2 1/2 star

It's not a matter of being unlucky, as per my previous comment(s) above, around the $100 area is not likely going to be enough for these dates in the zone(s) that you have selected:

Thanksgiving week is usually a slow time for hotels in NYC (fewer business travelers who are often price insensitive)... but even with it being a slow time, sub-$100 usually isn't enough for a hotel near the end of the week like this (as the parade brings in lots of people as well, including those marching)

Which other zone(s) did you include in your bidding? Did you take the HOTWIRE offer or still looking for a hotel?

I am currently seeing these two which are near your budget and closer to midtown: (confirm your dates on the landing page of each)

3* Central Park South with Restaurant and Business Center amenities for $123/nite... best guess would be The Wellington

3* Empire State Building with a Pets Allowed amenity for $125/nite... my guess here would be the Nh Jolly Hotel Madison Towers.

Let us know what you ultimately decide for this trip.

Thanks everyone!

So Instead of going for the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for $123, I tried to bid $120 instead and won! That's a pretty awesome deal given the area!

The Wellington

11/26/15-11/29/15

Offer Price: $120.00/night

Number of rooms: 1 Room

Number of nights: 3 Nights

Room Subtotal: $360.00

Taxes & Fees: $90.81

Total Charged: $450.81

I used the PRICELINE link from the bid strategy the admin laid out. I was a bit hopeful considering I saw the posts on people managing to bid 4* hotels in the TS area for less than $110. Was it because the dates were before thanksgiving and mine were during?

Congrats on your success. :)

Solid win for this property and glad you are pleased with the win. The days leading up to Thanksgiving are cheaper. After Thanksgiving up until around 12/15 is one of the busiest periods of the year with holiday shopping and festivities.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]