Hotwire Hotel: Chicago suburbs?

volunteersteph
By volunteersteph,
in

Planning to get tickets to Bulls game on Saturday 12/5 and wondering where would be the best area to stay.  We're not sure if we really want to drive in the city so wondering about staying in a suburb and then taking train to/from the 7pm game.  What areas would be best?  If we did decide to stay closer to the United Center, what area would be best?  Thanks!

Planning to get tickets to Bulls game on Saturday 12/5 and wondering where would be the best area to stay.  We're not sure if we really want to drive in the city so wondering about staying in a suburb and then taking train to/from the 7pm game.  What areas would be best?  If we did decide to stay closer to the United Center, what area would be best?  Thanks!

A few thoughts:

NYC generally gets super crowded and expensive in the first half of December, but Chicago generally gets cheaper as it gets colder. I see things on HOTWIRE like the Wyndham Grand Riverfront for $95. I see a 4* in the North burbs for $65. 

I usually recommend the North Burbs, which are really quite nice - a lot of restaurants, shopping and easy access to the train downtown. However, that's about a 35-50 minute train ride. Since this is a weekend, you'd get a weekend pass for the Metra. The problem is that the last Metra out is around Midnight and there is a fair amount of time in-between trains on weekends.

If you stayed downtown, you would not drive to the game, you'd just take a taxi. I do understand the cost of parking downtown and driving around, but once you park, I wouldn't drive around and would just leave it parked. Navy Pier and other city lots are cheaper (although still not cheap) than hotel parking.

So, your options:

1. Stay in the suburbs for around $60 (or less if you bid) for a 3.5/4*, plus free parking. However, it's a bit of a train trek into the city (although the Metra trains don't run past midnight and are not as frequent on the weekend.) The Metra trains are nicer than the CTA trains, with dual levels, bathrooms and conductors.

2. Stay downtown for around $90 +/- (or less if you bid) for a 4*, plus parking costs. Hotel and parking are going to be more, but no waiting for the train and trip to/from the 'burbs.

Let us know your thoughts - I'm also familiar with the area and would be happy to offer further recommendations.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you!   It does make sense to try to stay downtown and then not have to worry about waiting for the train and the train schedules.  If we stay downtown, I see where you said around $90 for a 4* (not including parking, of course).  Will it be tough to find a room to accomodate 4 people though (need 2 beds). Thanks for your help!!

Unfortunately, when you search for 4 adults, prices jump.

When I search for 4 on Hot.wire:

You may see slightly different prices:

$122, 4* Loop, Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly

-- Likely Allegro. Not a lot going on at night in the area, but nice hotel and probably one of the shortest cab rides from a downtown hotel to United Center, given that this property is in the West portion of the Loop.

There's a 4* on PRICELINE EXPRESS in the Millennium Park-Loop-GP area for $105 where "Request 2 Beds" is one of the bed options. That listing could be a number of different properties, including the Renaissance, Wyndham Grand and Fairmont. Still, $105 for a reservation where 2 beds are requested is a good deal for these dates.

There are a couple of other options, as well. What would be your desired max budget per night for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yeah, I noticed that the prices seem to go up when searching for rooms with 2 beds to accomodate 4 people.  I think that since we'll be splitting between 4, our max per night would be $150 per night.  I guess our other option would be if we saw a better deal for 2 lesser priced rooms instead of 1 room at a max of $150/night, we could go that route too.  Any suggestions on what area of downtown would be best to search?  Thanks for all of your help!

I'm seeing a 4* in the Loop w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly for $125 when searching for 4.

-- This would be a likely match for the Allegro. There is not a lot right around this property in the West portion of the Loop, but it would be a shorter cab ride than nearly all other downtown hotels to the United Center.

4.5* Loop for $135 w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly. This would be a likely match for the Wyndham Grand Riverfront, which would be better if you are looking to spend time on Michigan Ave; it's also not a bad walk from here to River North restaurants.

3.5* Mag Mile-RN $106 w/Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. 

-- This would be a possible match for the Doubletree Mag Mile or Hilton Suites. Longer trip to United Center, but cheaper and convenient to Michigan Ave.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you have additional questions.

When searching on PRICELINE EXPRESS, I see that some say bed choice, but then say that the room is assigned at check in.  Others actually allow you to request 2 beds. I guess I'm more tempted to pick one like that as we wouldn't want to get there and then get a room with 1 bed for 4 people.

There's a 3.5* Mag Mile-River North for $83 with choice of bed, Fitness Center, and business center, 8+ guest rating.

When I searched for the 2 you listed below, it just says room assigned at check in.  So not sure if that could be a problem.

If you're going to try to use PRICELINE EXPRESS for quad occupancy you need an offer where the 'Bed Choice' lists an option that can accommodate quad occupancy.

Best guess for the 3.5* PRICELINE EXPRESS offer (with Business Center and Fitness Center) would be the Doubletree Chicago Magnificent Mile.

Does this one work for your needs?

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]