Priceline Hotel: (Help) Manhattan / 3-3.5* / Mid-September

eyal1506
By eyal1506,
in

hey,

Its my first time I using Priceline and this is my first time in the US.

I will be in new york twice in my trip. first night between 9/15 - 09/16 and again for 7 night (09/24-10/01)

this post will be for the first night on 09/15-16

I thought to search for hotels in the Brooklyn and New Jersey And I found a very affordable prices in this areas.
For example Brooklyn 2 * Hotel for 165 dollars.

Now with priceline I looking for 3/3.5*  Hotel  in Manhattan . I do not have a favorite area. But for general knowledge I am in Manhattan for tourism
My maximum price is $ 180 including  taxes.

Is possible to find such a thing? If not, what do you suggest? (brooklyn? long island? Bronx?)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I assume this nite of 9/15 is just a stop over mid-trip and that you're returning to the city for a longer stay of 9/24-10/1 later in the trip? If so, what time and where do you arrive on 9/15? What time, and from where, do you depart on 9/16? (if you're flying/train to someplace after this first nite... or if you're driving somewhere, please indicate where you're driving to)

Let us know the above so that we know a little more about your needs/plans for this nite of your trip (before the longer stay) and we will be able to offer some suggestions as far as your best bets.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I assume you're taking Amtrak or one of the cheap buses (Bolt, Megabus, etc) to DC?

Is your luggage manageable on your own that you will likely be taking mass transit from JFK --> Manhattan or do you intend to take a shuttle or taxi? (or haven't made it that far in the planning yet?)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately Manhattan is very expensive for these dates and at current prices you're likely looking at $200+ for anything within Manhattan.

I would accept the fact that you likely won't have very much time to do much of anything (by the time your plane lands, immigration??, retrieving your luggage, traveling to the city... it will likely be at least 7pm, not to mention being exhausted from a day of travel.

Assuming budget is an issue, i would:

1) view the day as a commuting day and not attempt to see any of the city. Stay out by JFK and make your way to the bus/train the following morning after a good nights sleep

2) stay in Long Island City which gives you the option of calling it a day (depending what time you get to the hotel) and getting some sleep... or if early enough heading into the city to see Times Square and/or maybe one other stop. In the morning take a taxi the train/bus.

If you were not returning later in the month for a full week i would suggest trying to see and do as much as you can, but given the price of Manhattan, and the little benefit you will get by staying in it, i would save the money to spend elsewhere during your travels.

Most of the hotels near JFK get poor reviews, but there you're likely looking at $110-$130 for something around the 3 star level... in Long Island City you're likely looking at the $135-$150 area for something similarly rated. NOTE that if you decide to stay by JFK is there is nothing around to see/do, so you would really need to have the attitude that you're just using the hotel as a place to sleep before continuing your journey the following day.

So in summary: JFK is a bit more convenient but not much to else to do in the area... Long Island City is slightly more expensive but gives you the option to go out if you feel up to it.

Your thoughts?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thanks for your reply. So as I see I can't find hotel in Manhattan with my budget.

I would prefer to sleep in long island city or brooklyn. What is better for me in the first day?

And 135-150 usd excluding tax?

If I decide to stay in long island city what is the next step?

And do you have any tips for me for the next "leg" ? (Between 09/24 to 10/1)

Thanks again.

Brooklyn could potentially take you very far out of your way and could potentially (do to the geographical size of the zone) be a long commute into Manhattan... the Long Island City zone would be more convenient as well as be more within your path from JFK --> Manhattan.

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 3* hotel in this zone for $116/nite with:

Business Center

Free Internet

Free Breakfast

Fitness Center

... my guess for this one would be the Verve hotel which is about a 3 block walk to the subway.

You could take this offer OR try bidding on PRICELINE for a lower price, but if bidding there is no way to guess/target a specific hotel, so you would need to be willing to accept any 3* (or higher) hotel in the zone(s) that you bid.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed (or how it goes if you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer above) and we'll take it from there.

For help with your additional stay(s) please start a NEW TOPIC for each.

Thanks again for the information.

For now I prefer to wait a little bit and find better deal or better hotel then verve.

I looked in hotwire and find something in brooklyn and just for curious :

Brooklyn area hotel, 3.5* , 111$ per night , 65% recommended.

amenities:

free internet

free breakfast

smoke free room

boutiqe hotel

just to know do you have any guess about hotel name? Best Western Plus Brooklyn bay? if yes. Verve hotel look like good deal right now.

I have more then 45 days before the flight. do you think I should wait? or every day the prices will rise ?

just to know do you have any guess about hotel name? Best Western Plus Brooklyn bay? if yes. Verve hotel look like good deal right now.

My guess for this Brooklyn property would be the Hotel BPM Brooklyn New York... but what does the price of this Brooklyn hotel have to do with how good a deal the Verve would be?

do you think I should wait?

Nobody can say if rates will come down, or move higher, between now and your trip, but this is the start of high-season in NYC and i think the hotel would work well based upon your needs.

You could book the hotel HERE for $139 and it would be full refundable until a few days before your stay (confirm cancel terms during the check-out process) and this would protect you from rates rising from here, as well as giving you flexibility should a better deal come along (although i'm not sure exactly what more it is that you're looking for or expecting)

Let us know what you decide or how we can be of further help.

I will book the 139 with full refund.

And continue see what going on with the prices in the this period of time.

Can we talk now about the second stay in NYC? Or I need to open new thread?

It's will be 7 nights for tourism basically in the famous attractions like TS empire state . Central park. Wall street .. brooklyn and etc...

I think the most important thing for me is transportation from the hotel to all places.

I will book the 139 with full refund.

And continue see what going on with the prices in the this period of time.

Can we talk now about the second stay in NYC? Or I need to open new thread?

It's will be 7 nights for tourism basically in the famous attractions like TS empire state . Central park. Wall street .. brooklyn and etc...

I think the most important thing for me is transportation from the hotel to all places.

For watching for rate drops, don't miss that big red "Introducing Our Newest Site:" up above.

Yes, a new thread for the second stay.

Romelle

Or I need to open new thread?

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your other set of dates. Your needs for that stay will differ from your needs for the one nite above, so it's easier to keep them separate by using separate threads. As well, the topic title of each thread will be used to reflect what you ultimately decided to do for each leg of the trip (which also allows each to have it's own link in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins), and this would not be possible if you used one thread to discuss both stays.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]