Priceline Hotel: Rejected 4* (Upper Mid, MTE, MTW) 2/2-2/8

WhoElseButMe
By WhoElseButMe,
in

Hi! First off - Happy New Year to all. This is my first visit to NY. This site ROCKS. I booked the Affinia's Eastgate Tower on 39th St for $179 and was extremely happy as I got a $50 off the normal rate thru travelzoo. That PALES in comparison to the deals people are posting here. I really wanted to stay at Waldorf (various reasons - might bore you) but it was way too costly at $299. I think it may be possible with your help.

OK, I need a 4* hotel in Midtown manhattan (I don't mind walking) and ready to spend upto $180 max. Can I hope to get the Waldorf? I need it from Feb 2 thru 8 for 6 nights.

Thanks,

Girish

PS - If some ones knows about this - Can I pay with someone else's card on priceline for my stay. I am from India and there are lot of surcharges for foreign currency transactions and I'd prefer to use some friend's US credit card.

You only need to post your request once. If you're not sure if you'll be using Priceline or Hotwire, post it in the Priceline section and if Hotwire is ultimately used then we'll then move the thread to that section of the forum.

You could book a studio suite at the Eastgate Tower for your dates for $148/nite (this rate is cancellable up until 3 days before your check-in date). So you may want to cancel your existing $179/nite reservation and re-book using the above link.

If you do that, i'm not sure if you want to re-evaluate your $180/nite maximum bid.

Also, the Waldorf does not come up very frequently, and the odds of receiving it for a 6 nite stay such as this is not very likely.

Let us know what you want to do in regards to the above reservation and/or your maximum bid.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, thereuare.

I'll cancel the existing one and book the one you showed. Also what is your opinion about the eastgate tower. I preferred it because of trip advisor's positive ratings and the kitchen in the suite. But what I mean to say that I am ready to spend upto 180 for the waldorf as Iwas already mentally prepared for that much. Otherwise I'd rather book something like the grand hyatt for 110 (what people here got recently) which I think is steal. Please advise for 4* in midtown in the $150 range and whatwould I get for that much.

Regards,

Girish

For help with Off the Record deals, use our REVERSE LOOK-UP TOOL which is also highlighted at the top of the board.

Since you can't bid for a specific hotel, you can't bid "up to $180 for the Waldorf". See this thread for more details: DON'T BID HIGHER FOR A SPECIFIC HOTEL. This is even more telling since the Waldorf and the Grand Hyatt are in the same zone, so if the Grand Hyatt is avaialble for $110 (which i think is a big assumption to make), you could very easily bid $180 hoping for the Waldorf and end up with the Grand Hyatt and overpaying.

I've never stayed at the Eastgate, but i used to work in the area, and it is close to Grand Central Station (for easy subway access) and in an area i like with some good bars and restaurants nearby.

I'm not really sure what you want to do with regards to your bidding in light of the above comments of not bidding higher for a specific hotel. Also keep in mind that two beds is not guaranteed and many rooms in NYC only have one bed in them, with no room for a rollaway.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If it means changing room then its OK bt changing hotels is a bit cumbersome. I mean you check out at 12 but have to wait 3 hours before check in, unless they hold your luggage in the next hotel it isn't viable. The only positive is that if I split it 4-2 I can prob stay in a 5 star for two days. hmmm....not a bad idea.

You would likely have to change hotels... but a 5* is not likely nonetheless.

Storing your luggage for a few hours shouldn't be a problem at a NYC hotel... you could either leave it at the hotel you're checking out of or 'move' to the new hotel and have them store it if a room is not readily available.

But whehter to split or not is one of personal preference... some will do it to save $10, others won't do it to save $100.

Has anyone got any good deals on long stays? I've had a $145 bid rejected for 4* in ALL zones except downtown in NY for my Feb 2-8 stay. Its possible that participating hotels are only selling their 'left over' rooms they might not want to commit to 5-6 nights for a low price in the hope of getting suckers who will pay rack rates.

:)

We have certainily seen stays longer than this get accepted, but it only takes one expensive nite during your stay to cause a rejection.

If you're opposed to splitting your stay, i would book the Eastgate Tower for $148/nite as a back-up.

It's cancellable up until 3 days before your check-in date, has a good location with an extra large room, and since there is no booking fee is actually cheaper than the $148 you have already bid. You can see REVIEWS are good too.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]