Newark Airport to Penn Station (New York) via Path

Hornet
By Hornet,
in

During my last trip to New York I landed at Newark and took the Air Train into the city. If I remember correctly it cost me around $12-$13 each way. I would like to get to Penn Station in New York for less money. I have recently heard that you could take a Bus ($1.50) from Newark Airport to Penn Station (New Jersey) then catch a PATH train into Penn Station (New York) for 1.50. Is this possible? Which bus should I catch at Newark Airport. How much time will it take? Is it worth the headache on a Saturday morning when every minute in NY is precious. $6 round trip compared to $26 would be huge considering my wife and I are traveling together.

The best I can tell I have two options.

1) Take the 62 bus from Newark to Penn Station (New Jersey) and take the PATH train directly to the World Trade Center terminal in S. Manhattan.

or

2) Take the 62 bus from Newark to Penn Station (New Jersey) then take the PATH train to the Journal Square station and change trains to one that will take me to 33rd St. (Penn Station NY). It appears that a train does not run from Penn Station (New Jersey) directly to 33rd St.

I do not care where I end up because I plan to buy an MetroCard and don't mind taking the subway to where I need to be. (I enjoy it in fact. Not much public transportation in rural S.C.) Which would be the easiest and fastest way to get into the city? Or should I scrap this plan and take the train in from the airport? How big of a hassle is it to take the bus to Penn Station (NJ) from the airport. Is it a fairly direct shuttle or will they run me around Newark before getting back to Penn Station?

I've never taken the bus, so i can't comment. In the link above to the other thread there are links to the bus schedule and route so you can see about how long it will take. It's a public bus, but the airport is not too far from the train station.

If you go this route, for ease of use i would take the PATH from Newark Penn Station to the World Trade Center stop (saves you a connection) and then take the NYC subway "E" train to either 53rd St/5th Ave or the Lexington Ave stop.

Do keep in mind that generally speaking, "Newark ain't a great place".

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just got back from NY last night and used NJ Transit buses and Path trains to get from Newark to the city. Total cost $2.75 per trip to city. (1.25 bus to Penn Station and 1.50 PATH train to World Trade Center). This is opposed to $14.00 for taking the train from the airport to the city. My wife and I saved grand total of $45 for airport transportation! I would not hesitate to take this mode of transportation again. My wife however felt really uncomfortable because she has never taken this type of public transportation before. I will agree that "Newark ain't a great place". On the way from the airport to Penn Station we were surrounded by a group of men discussing recent jail stints. On the way off the bus one decided to hug the bus driver to thank him. The driver did not appreciate this and an altercation occurred.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]