Priceline Hotel: Where to stay?

erinbharris
By erinbharris,
in

We are traveling to Chicago in August for 3-4 nights. We haven't picked dates yet because we are pretty flexible within the first 2 weeks of August. We will be driving. Our kids are 9 and 12. We know we want to go to the Museum of Science, and to see a Cubs game. That's all we know for sure.

What area would you recommend we stay in? We are driving so have a car, but we also don't mind taking public transportation to get around.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on where you'd stay! Trying to keep it to $200/night or less with taxes and fees, but will figure that out once I start bidding in an area.

Thanks, 

Erin

There may be other conventions during the month, but I'll note that Lollapalooza is the first couple of days of the month, so I'd say that is out. The 15th/16th is the Air/Water Show, which doesn't really bring crowds from other areas/ramp hotel rates, but it's a pretty good show. If you're going to see a Cubs game it depends on when the Cubs are in town and whether or not you'd want to see a day game or a night game.

In terms of having four people, with bidding you do risk the possibility of getting one bed. With HOTWIRE, you can enter 2 adults and 2 children, which should guarantee bedding for the party.

I'd recommend staying North of the River. On HOTWIRE, this means the Mag Mile-RN area or Mag Mile N-Water Tower area. On PRICELINE, that means River North-NMA.

There are lots of examples depending on which set of dates you enter, but I do see what appears to be the Hyatt Mag Mile (on St Clair) for $159 (you may see a slightly different price) for 8/12-16, then there's a Brewers v Cubs game at 120 on the 13th. If this is of interest, let us know and we would be happy to point out which listing is which. There are options though, that is just an example.

The other thought is that you can stay in the North Suburbs, which are usually quite a bit cheaper. Plus, free parking. The issue is that you would have to drive to the nearest Metra station, then have to take the Metra in (about 35-45 minutes each way, but the Metra trains are quite nice, with two levels and bathrooms.) The North Burbs do have restaurants and shopping, as well as some sights (Chicago Botanic Garden, Ravinia Music Festival.) The price difference can be fairly sizable, depending on the day - it just depends on whether you find the savings worthwhile in terms of having to take the trip in/out of the city each day.

Also, as I've noted in other threads, Lake Geneva - a resort town in Wisconsin - makes for a pleasant day trip if you stay in the North burbs.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Thank you, Aaron. I'm thinking August 6-9th. Lollapalooza is over on the 2nd (just looked) so that should be okay timing-wise I think. Likely go to the Cubs game on the 6th as we should get into the city by 2:00 in the afternoon at the latest-leaving Minneapolis early in the morning.

Should I move this over to the Hotwire section? how do I do that? ha.

thanks!

Should I move this over to the Hotwire section?

No, please keep all posts in the same thread since posts are for the same stay. Once you win a hotel use the 'ADD REPLY and REPORT WIN' button on the lower right corner of the page and the entire thread will be moved to the correct section of the board (if necessary)

Also, please provide a follow-up for your prior Chicago Hotwire thread (post in that thread what you decided for that stay), then reply to this thread and we'll continue the discussion for your trip above. Please follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yellowdog.

6th-9th do look a little more expensive than mid-month, but for 6-9th, when I search for 2a/2c, I'm seeing:

4* Mag Mile-RN $168 Boutique, Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa, Pet Friendly.

-- Possible match for the W Lakeshore

Otherwise, I'm seeing options that are either slightly lesser but not optimal (what appears to be the Allegro for $151, for example) or more (there is more in the way of options around the $200 level.)

I do see a 4* in the Northbrook area w/Restaurant, Pool, Indoor Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Golf, Free Parking, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly for $74. 

-- This is a possible match for the Renaissance North Shore.

Certainly it's not optimal to stay in the burbs, but I thought I'd offer it as a cheaper alternative and if you're coming in from the North, then it's less of a drive in and you're already starting North when you head back. Plus, free parking (versus paying at least $30-35 - city lot; $50-60+ at a hotel downtown) If this was in fact the Renaissance, on the other side of the expressway is the walk-in entrance to the Chicago Botanic Gardens (walk-in is free; if you go in on the main entrance on the other side, there isn't admission, but there is a parking charge.)

The problem with staying in the burbs becomes getting to the train and then taking the train into the city and back. It becomes whether or not the savings are worth it.

Please let me know if you have any questions before booking or if you see something for a different set of dates.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]