Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium Park - The Loop - Grant Park) Burnham, a Kimpton Hotel

beldwell
By beldwell,
in

I'm taking my mother to a show at the Oriental Theater on 6/12/2015.  I'm looking at both Hotwire and Priceline for the best option.  My mom is 70, so I don't want to walk a ton after the show.  I'm seeing a rooom for $185 (Loop Theater District) - Boutique, Fitness Center, Business Center, Internet Access, Pet Friendly, Restaurant, and Spa - 85% Recommendation.  I think that could be the Hotel Allegro?  I've stayed there before, and I thought it was just ok.  Alternatively, I found another for $197 (Downtown) - Free internet, Business Center, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Smoke Free that is 95% recommended.  I think that could be the Hyatt?  Any ideas you have or other options you'd consider would be great!!!  Does that seem a little high for June, or is it just me?

I'd wait for AaronJB to respond this one as he knows the area best and will more readily know which hotels are closest to and would work for your plans for the evening.

However, to give him a bit more information to go on, what would be your maximum budget for this nite? (before fees/taxes)

Also, and AaronJB can comment better on this, i don't think taxis are that expensive in Chicago... if there is a good deal on something that may be too far for your mom to walk, but within a ~$10 cab ride, would this be an acceptable option (assuming the $20RT cab fare still makes the hotel a good deal relative to the other available options)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd be fine a further location and a cab.  I was initially thinking about staying south of the River since we come in and out on Amtrak.  I'd say my budget is $225 max.  We literally just need a room to sleep.  We train back out first thing Saturday am.

June is certainly not a slow month in Chicago, although I don't see anything in particular causing additional issues (convention) for these dates.

In the Loop, I'm seeing a 4* w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly for $185, which would likely be the Allegro. The Allegro couldn't be more convenient to Union Station if you are taking Amtrak, but not a lot directly around it and it will be quiet at night.

In the Downtown-Mp-GP area I'm seeing what appears to be the Hyatt on Wacker for $199, but for $6 more, I'm seeing what appears to be the James (4.5* Mag Mile-RN, Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Handicapped Parking, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly.)

The James would be a very nice property right off Michigan Ave.

You may see slightly different rates than I do. Let me know if you have any questions before booking.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

I think that the location of The James would work!!  THANK YOU for the tip!!  When looking for the James, I also see a 4 star Magnificant Mile Area that is showing $1 cheaper than The James.  Its amenities are Boutique, Business Center, Fitness Center, Internet Access, Restaurants, Smoke-free Rooms, Accessible fo rthe Visually Impaired, Accessible Path of Travel and In-room Accessibility.  It's recommended at 90%.  I'm just wondering if this hotel would be closer to the theater.

Please use either/both of these methods to ensure you're seeing the complete amenity set associated with the hotel:

1) use the EASY VIEW tab of our BiddingHelper.com and click the green 'See All Amenities' button

OR

2) search HOTWIRE (or use the HOTWIRE tab at BiddingHelper.com) and...

• click the offer
  • on the next page click the BOOK NOW link
  • in the TRIP SUMMARY box click the 'See more' link at the end of the amenities
Using the method(s)above this is the amenity set i'm seeing for the 4* in the Mag Mile-River North zone at $205/nite for your dates:

Boutique

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... if this is what you're seeing, the Hotel Chicago Downtown Autograph Collection would be my guess for this one.

Let us know what you ultimately decide and how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Taxis in Chicago are really not bad as major cities go. It's maybe $8-10 from the top corner PRICELINE's River North-NMA zone to the opposite bottom corner.

The Hotel Chicago used to be the Sax (which used to be the House of Blues Hotel.) It's right on the river and a reasonable/decent walk to many restaurants in River North. It's not too far from La Madia (http://osterialamadia.com/), which I like quite a bit, but there's a ton of others. Let me know what you like and I'd be happy to make a recommendation.

• 4 weeks later...

I waited out hoping for a better deal.  I decided to go with a Priceline Express Deal that I saw pop up today.  It was listed as a 4 star 9+ recommended with just a restaurant and and pets allowed.  I was able to "upgrade" to get a 2 double bed room for $173.  The original Express Deal was for $162 for one bed.  The hotel I got was the Hotel Burnham.  As always, thanks for the help!! 

Congrats on your success. :)

Very good deal for one of the nicest and most historic/unique 4* properties in the city.

Can you confirm the amenities that were showing with this listing? Thanks.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]