Priceline Hotel: Looking for 4* NYC Hotel, March 23-27

sfchick
By sfchick,
in

Hi,

This is my first time on this site and my first time considering Priceline. I've been reading a lot of the posts over the past couple of days and there is a ton of great information.

I will be traveling to New York with my best friend, Mar 23-27, to celebrate my 40th! I currently have a reservation at the Belvedere for $199 and was considering changing to the Novotel. But if I could get 4* hotel for that price or less, obviously that would be perfered. What are my chances? I notice that the time period that I want to travel is more expensive than the current deals for January & February. When I went into Hotwire I didn't see any 4* under $200.

My first choice would be Times Square area, but I have no problem with being in MTE. My biggest fear is that we wind up with 1 King bed and not be able to get 2 doubles. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome!

First, Times Square isn't a Priceline area, so you'll have to let us know what areas would be acceptable. Typically MTE, MTW, and UM-CPS are the preferred areas. Check the map on Priceline and let us know what areas would be acceptable.

Secondly, you will want to understand rebidding on Priceline before you start to bid. You should read the following post Bidding Again before 72 hours

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.
After going through NYC, you should be able to find the 2 areas that do not have 4* hotels.

Once you're able to identify them, we'll be glad to provide you with bidding advice.

I read the rebidding instructions yesterday so I think I understand it. I took a look at Priceline and it looks to me like there are no 4* hotels in Upper East Side & Upper West Side. So those would be the areas that I would add when I want to rebid, right?

My first choice would be MTW, then MTE.

I would appreciate any help on a strategy. Should I wait until closer to my trip? What are my chances of getting a room with 2 beds?

In NYC, most of the hotel rooms are on the small side. If you absolutely need 2 beds, you should book directly with the hotel as priceline reservations only request a room for 2 people. You could contact the hotel following a reservation, but you would only be requesting 2 beds, subject to availability.

(Basically, there is no way to guarantee a room with 2 beds with Priceline)

If you still wish to try priceline and accept the possibility of receiving a room with just a queen or king bed, you can try the following (considering your current $199 reservation). Please ask any other questions prior to bidding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone 1...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone 2...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone 1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone 2...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone 1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone 2...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone 1...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone 2...

Bid $180.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a 4* Hotel in MTE on Hotwire for the dates of 3/23/06-3/27/06. Here's the description:

This upscale establishment offers thoughtful features, quality rooms and a high level of service.

Ammenities: Restaurant, Fitness Center, Spa, Business Center. Customer Favorite.

Price is $219.

I'm assuming this is the Drake Swissotel...am I correct?

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]