Hotwire Hotel: Paris May 27-29

Uncle Taco
By Uncle Taco,
in

Dear Community,

I am very happy that I just discovered hotwire, priceline and most of all this board as I do not really know yet what I can expect.

With my girlfiend I am going to travel Europe for a little bit and I am still looking for best deals and price/value packages.

We are both students so our budget is quite limited I would say, however I want her to have a very good experience by visiting Europe for the first time. (She is Ecuadorian, I am German)

I am only looking for hotels for us for the following dates:

1. Paris: 27th to 29th of May (already booked a hotel, but it is 100% refundable)

2. Berlin: 1st to 3rd of June

3. Amsterdam: 3rd to 5th of June

Do you think it makes a difference in price if we either fly to Amsterdam on the 3rd early in the morning (so hotel in Berlin) or the previous day at night (another Hotel night in Amsterdam)?

How would you recommend me to search in those cases?

Am I correct, that any deal I would get through the NYOP (and any other) is not refundable?

Also, is there a way to find a one-person room only? Because i have to stay another night in Amsterdam before my flight departs.

Sorry if I am demanding too much already. I really hope you guys can help me figure this out.

Thanks a lot

Yes,

These are non refundable so reasearching the area of the city you want , hotel quality wanted and price you are willing to pay is important.

Example as a pure tourist: If I were short on money with just a few nights to visit Paris, I would hunt for something INSIDE the Paris Peripherique. Hotwire has a gambler special 3* at $52/nt in Montmarte/Moulin Rouge w/no rating. Or better, the Oprea Granier at $75 on HW. However, If I could stretch it, I would try for something in a prime area like the Latin Quarter/Marais/Opera East or West... lesser Champs Elysess/Effiel

There is a 3* PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for $90/nt Champs Elysess on your dates with a 7+ PL rating..thats very acceptable in my book.

Or you might try NYOP $78 Champs Elysess

if rejected add Latin Q @$81

if rejected add Marais @$84

if rejected add Opera West @$86

if rejected add Opera East @$88

if rejected take the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal @$90

Your rebid zones are all premium, so if you get lucky you might get a 3 star there. 

I am not suggesting you do the above, but rather a type of strategy to can use for your special case.

You probably already know this, but an important part of your research will include trying to identify properties with those found on Better Bidding Hotwire & Priceline hotel lists. I didnt check the properties above 

In general with well rated properties 70% or above you have a chance to identify them, unrated ones are more difficult

Welcome to BetterBidding... we're glad you found us too! :)

Few comments to get you started:

Please use separate threads for each leg of your trip. We will use this thread for the first part of your trip in Paris, feel free to start separate threads for the Berlin and Amsterdam leg of your trip.

To determine about departing/arriving a day earlier/later use our BiddingHelper.com tool to search PRICELINE, HOTWIRE, and 'retail' rates to see the price difference for the solo nite in each give city for the nite... this will give you an idea of which one is less/more expensive. HOWEVER, transportation may be the bigger variable so i would check the difference in flight costs as this may be more of a determining factor.

For the Paris leg of your trip (5/27-5/29) that you have already booked... where and how much is your back-up hotel?

For the future note we have many tools/sister sites here, one of which is RefundableRates.com which will help you determine your best 'regular rate' options on a refundable basis. ;)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let's start with the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow, thank you guys for your help already! I am a bit overwhelmed.

I now chose the flight I was going to from Berlin to Amsterdam so that date is fixed too now.

All the transportation are fixed now and I am satisfied with the prices as well.

For Paris:

At the moment I have booked Hotel de la Perdrix Rouge for 159$ total (two nights, two people). It is, according to hotwire, here: La Villette - Bagnolet - Montreuil area. In the center of the Belleville. It seemed like the best value/price deal I could find, taking into account that at that the French Open starts.

For Amsterdam and Berlin:

AMS from the 3rd to the 5th of June for two, from 5th to 6th for one :(

BER from the 1st to the 3rd, may be only until the second, as we are leaving very early the next day and then possible stay that one (half-night) at my friends place

Should I open a thread in each HW and PL section for each city? I dont want to flood this board haha

Thank you guys alread!

Shall i go ahead and try to bid on the areas you recommended in the first reply for Paris?

I will make sure to use your provided links!!

For the same price you are getting in the 19th arrd for a Tripadvisor 3.5, you can get a Hotwire 4 star in the Notre Dame/Marais area with a 100% approval and 4.5 TA rating. Unless you have a good reason to be in the 19th, this is one of those golden properties you can find on HW.

The Hotel Parc St Severin is a possible match and my guess

Should I open a thread in each HW and PL section for each city?

Just one thread per stay.  People often research both before ultimately going with either HW or PL.  When you are finished, the moderators will move the thread to which ever one worked for you.

Hot.wire lets one search for one-person rooms.  There are also lots of links to specific hotels and more general resources on the Support.Page up in the header.

Romelle

I will do that Romelle, thanks for clarfying!

For the Paris trip:

I tried name your price from 66$ to 74$, because there is always the fees etc. which are added afterwards.. I was unsuccesful while adding the first 4 different regions.

Hey Roadguy, thanks for the reply. Where do you find that deal? When i look for the notre dame i find the cheapest for 137$ for two people for one night. So almost twice as much as I am paying right now. 

Can I still somehow change the topic of this thread, as it does not really describe my problem?

I am still on the search for a better hotel in Paris, but not much more expensive!

It is actually very hard to find good and cheap hotels for those particular days... I tried though.

What do you think of the location? And the offer in general? Which hotel might it be?

After using the BiddingHelper.com, I came up with the following options:

Montmartre - Moulin Rouge - Sacré Coeur area

52$ for 3 Star

TP: 3 out of 5

No recommendations on HW

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Internet access

Bastille - République area

76$ for 3 Star

TP: no

65% recommendations by 6 reviews

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet,  Internet access

from Priceline:

3 Star Hotel in Montrouge - Ivry - Villejuif Area for $75/nigh

Unfortunately I dont see amenities for it...

How would you recommend me to use the NYOP for Paris? Any very good tips?

How would you recommend me to use the NYOP for Paris? Any very good tips?

I kind of like the Gare du Nord etc.  zone for bidding.  The only reported hotel here is a 3* Holiday Inn Express.  It is right across from the train station so one could get everywhere from there.  The area is .. ah .. a little gritty?,  but interesting.   Felt safe.  Of course the HIE isn't necessarily the hotel you'd get, but it gives you the general idea of the possibilities.  

After you get your "educated guess" as to the three hotels you mentioned, of the ones you like you could use the low rate as a cap on your bidding.  

Regarding changing topic titles, you can't.  When you are finished, if you've successfully bid or gotten a PLE or HW deal the administrators change the title to reflect that.  

This is a little out of date, so needs checked, but it is a list of 7 public bus routes that take one by all sorts of the typical tourist places:  ClICK HERE

And this is a good explanation of Paris public transport: ClICK HERE  

I have to add though, that the silly paper tickets sometimes lose their magnetism or something and simply won't work.  However one can take them to a window in the station and they will just take them and hand over new ones  that will work.  

Romelle

Thank you so much for the recommendations!! :)

I now found this one, it is also located close to a big train station and seems to have  a good price/value package:

4* Gare d'Austerlitz - Place d'Italie

74/76$ for 4 Star

75% recommendations by 8 reviews and TP 3.5/5

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet,  Pet friendly,  Internet access

3* Montmartre - Moulin Rouge - Sacré Coeur

there is one $51 instead of 133$ on the HW homepage itself, and a 53$ on the HW Easy on BH.

thats also where i got the

FULL AMENITIES: Free Internet, Pet friendly, Smoke-free rooms, Internet access

both dont have recommendations and a TP of 3/5

I will pick between one of those two I think. Do you guys have an idea which hotels they might be? The areas seem nice as well.

Unfortunately neither of these properties have yet been reported to the board and with the limited amenities for each i don't have any insight into either.

I know your on a tight budget which means you have to make a trade-off between convenience, quality, and price... but ideally in Europe i try to stick with the higher rated hotels and higher TA ratings, as the star ratings there are a bit more generous than their US counterparts.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]