Priceline Hotel: 4* FAIL - Downtown - White House or Capitol Hill - Convention Center

cppwiz
By cppwiz,
in

Started bidding last week for two nights, Friday 4/10/15 and Saturday 4/11/15 and of course using the [url=http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=40]PRICELINE[/url] link from betterbidding.com

Went through 8 re-bids topping out at $123 because I was looking for a bargain but couldn't get any bids accepted.  Tried again today:

97     Downtown - White House

103   Capital Hill - Convention Center

no 4 stars:

112   Alexandria West

117   Bethesda

126   Capital Hill South

132   Cleveland Park

137   DC Northeast

147   Georgetown North

158    Mount Vernon

168    Silver Spring

Now I will just use my backup reservation at $233 per night to collect some hotel points or maybe try again next Thursday night.  This is the first time Priceline has failed me on this scale and I wonder if it's part of a trend of hotels not releasing inventory to Priceline.

I'm not sure if anything else is happening in the city over these dates, but this is the weekend of the Cherry Blossom Parade, and i would assume this is the reason for the higher than usual rates you're seeing as well as the tough/limited PRICELINE inventory for these dates.

If hotels feel they will be able to sell all/most of their rooms at full price, there is little reason for them to offer PRICELINE / HOTWIRE much/any deeply discounted inventory. During times of high demand discounts are usually still available, but they are not nearly as deep as during other times of year when rates are more 'normal' or when the hotels have low occupancy levels.

You can use our (free) RateDrop service to monitor rates for these dates and get an alert should a 4* hotel in either of these zones, or any regular rate hotel of your choosing, drop in price to an amount you'd like to pay.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know if any change to your plans.

Good luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the replies.  I usually set my max Price.line bid to 90% of what is being offered on Hot.wire, but in this case that strategy didn't work.  I would like to stay within walking distance of the National Mall, so I will keep trying for a last-minute Priceline deal.

Just to add to the above, you can't always use the HOTWIRE rate to determine your PRICELINE bidding since:

1) the zone boundaries on the two services are usually different, so the HOTWIRE offer may not be in the same zone that you're bidding on PRICELINE

2) each service may rate the same hotel differently, so the HOTWIRE property may be lowered rated on PRICELINE

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]