Priceline Hotel: Is this 4* hotel in Madison obvious?

slyde56
By slyde56,
in

Hey all,

I'd really like to book a night at the Edgewater in Madison, WI. When I search my dates (4/25-4/26) on Priceline, there is only one 4* hotel in all of Madison in their "List View," the Edgewater.

Am I correct in assuming that the only 4* that I can possibly bid on in Name Your Price is the Edgewater (making every other zone a possible rebid zone just for the Edgewater)?

Also, there is only one 4* "secret" hotel in the PRICELINE EXPRESS Deals portion of Price.line. Is this also necessarily the Edgewater? The ratings and amenities line up as well. Thanks so much!

I'm a member, not a board representative.  But I know the hotels available in Priceline bidding are not necessarily the same as the hotels in either Priceline Express or the direct purchase "List View".  

At the moment, on Priceline bidding, all of the zones other than Downtown do not have 4* or higher bidding available so they are possible rebid zones.  But you need to determine this from checking on the bidding page as explained in the FAQs.  Just seeing 4* hotels only in the Downtown area in the "List View" isn't the safe way to determine rebid zones.  

Any of those 3.5*s reported in the Hotel Lists could have had a recent increase in their star rating.  Or there may be a 4* out there that just hasn't been reported yet.  Or... Or...

You might want to post back with the amenity list, date and rate and have the experts give you their educated guess as to which hotel the Express Deal likely is.  

Romelle

Oh yes, you are completely right. I can also tell that right now only Downtown has 4* enabled in the Price.line bidding by clicking through on the zones. I can also understand how the 3.5*s could have recently increased to 4*. How likely is that?

For the 4* PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for $131 on Priceline (4/25-4/26), checked today, listed amenities are

• Pets allowed
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness Center
  • Business Center
The page says "Save 26% or More" with Guest Ratings 8+ Very Good.

The Edgewater has all of these amenities listed in Top Amenities:

• High speed internet access for laptop in public areas
  • Spa
  • Business center
  • Pets allowed
  • Restaurant
  • Non-smoking rooms (generic)
  • Valet parking
  • Cable television
Plus has "Fitness Center" shown as an icon on the top. Guest ratings have 19 ratings at an average of 8.8. The listed price for this is $179 today.

I thought it was also interesting and maybe of note that 1 – $131/$179 = 1 – 0.732 = 0.268, or 26%.

Here are the 3.5* hotels in the Downtown zone on the list view in Priceline with their amenities:

3.5* Hilton Madison Monona Terrace

Amenities:

Icon:

• Swimming Pool
  • Pets Allowed
  • Fitness Center

Top:

• Indoor pool
  • Exercise gym
  • On-site business center
  • Pets allowed
  • Parking
  • Cable television
  • Hairdryer

3.5* Madison Concourse Hotel

Amenities:
Icon:

• Free Internet (in room)
  • Swimming Pool
  • Airport Shuttle

Top:

• Free high speed internet connection
  • Indoor pool
  • Exercise gym
  • Full business center
  • Restaurant
  • Parking
  • Free airport shuttle

3.5* Sheraton Hotel Madison

Amenities:
Icon:

• Free Internet (in room)
  • Free Parking
  • Swimming Pool

Top:

• High speed wireless
  • Pool
  • Exercise gym
  • Business center
  • Restaurant
  • Non-smoking
  • Parking

3.5* Doubletree Hotel Madison

Amenities:

Icon:

• Free Internet (in Room)
  • Free Parking
  • Swimming Pool

Top:

• Free high speed internet connection
  • Indoor pool
  • Exercise gym
  • On-site business center
  • Free parking
  • Free airport shuttle

The Edgewater is never reported to the board but it would be my guess for the PRICELINE EXPRESS property.

And it's also likely property when bidding 4* in that zone.

Like Romelle noted, The Hotel List is NOT a complete list of all hotels that Priceline offers in this area, it is ONLY a compilation of hotels that have already been reported on this forum. Hotels are added/removed by Priceline all the time, and star ratings can change at ANY time. As well, the geographic boundaries of an area are subject to change.

Please read this link: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Let us know how we can help you further with your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Yellowdog.

I agree that the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer is likely the Edgewater.

So it comes down to if having a high degree of probability of receiving this property at $131/nite is worthwhile to you... OR if you're willing take the chance of receiving some other (currently unknown) 4* property for a slightly lower rate. If you're willing to take the chance, how much savings would you need to make the risk worthwhile? If for example it's worth $20 savings... then $111 becomes your maximum bid when bidding and if that is rejected then you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer.

Thoughts/questions?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Makes total sense. To give you more information, I would like to spend the least money to get a hotel that's close to the capitol, one of these:

4* Edgewater

3.5* Hilton Madison Monona Terrace

3.5* Madison Concourse Hotel

3* Best Western Plus Inn on the Park

There are only two other hotels that are 3.5* that look to be in the downtown zone that would be less desirable:

3.5* Doubletree Hotel Madison (would not be awful)

3.5* Sheraton Hotel Madison (definitely not something I would be okay with)

There are actually no other 3.5* or 4* hotels in list view in Madison.

I figure that bidding on 4* only would be the best way to maximize my chances of being on the capitol. Does this make sense?

Does this make sense?

No.  

There is a 4* Mansion Hill Inn on Kayak.  Kayak also carries the Hilton Madison Monona Terrace as a 4* from Priceline (although it reverts to a 3.5* when I click through to Priceline - might be a case of a hotel having rooms in different star levels ?).

I didn't spend time mapping the 3.5 and 3* ones from Kayak to the Priceline Madison Downtown zone, but it does look like there might be some more that are beyond your list.  

And I suppose there could be hotels Kayak doesn't have that are available via Priceline bidding.

If you are bidding, you always have to be prepared to accept any hotel within the bounds of the zone map at the star level (or higher) you are bidding.  I've a couple times caught as-yet-unreported hotels on the very furthest out point of a zone map - Fort Lauderdale and Budapest.  

Romelle

The Sheraton is really the primary "outlying" hotel that people try to avoid given the location, although I suppose the benefit is that given that it's not in the downtown area, parking is free.

The Mansion Hill Inn is a B & B and very unlikely to appear as a Price.line win (although it does look awfully nice and gets tremendous reviews, I think I've definitely decided where I'm staying next I go to Madison....)

When bidding you have to be willing to stay at any hotel at the star rating picked in the zone/s you select. Hot.wire is a better option in terms of the possibility of ID'ing a hotel based on the information given.

I'd suggest heading to nearby Devil's Lake (which is absolutely gorgeous) if you have time before/after your night in Madison.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]