Hotwire Hotel: 3* London (Kensington - Shepherds Bush - Westfield London) City Continental London Kensington

catitamatias
By catitamatias,
in

I decided to choose the Kensington area because all the other ones I like were getting too expensive.

So I saw this deal on Hotwire for a 3* with free breakfast, internet access, business center and 90% recommended. With all this amenities my guess was almost sure to get Express by Holiday Inn Earls Court, as it was the only with free breakfast based on the Hotel List. Unfortunatelly I got this City Continental London.

Is this hotel really 90% recommended? Because on Trip Advisor there are lots of bad reviews. Furthermore, this hotel is not 3* on Trip Advisor, it's a 3.5*, so it would be impossible to get the Express by Holiday Inn Earls Court. I believe if Hotwire offers you a 3* they should give you exactly the one you selected because you are hoping to get a especific hotel.

So that's life... this time I lost.

But happy to share this case with Better Bidding forum.

... my guess was almost sure to get Express by Holiday Inn Earls Court...

The property you purchased has a 3.5/5.0 TA rating, whereas the Express Earls Court currently has a 4.0/5.0 TA rating, so this would have been a clue that this may have been some other property.

Is this hotel really 90% recommended? Because on Trip Advisor there are lots of bad reviews.

I do see some negative reviews, but the vast majority (especially the more recent ones) are actually quite positive (and many of those with complaint have to do with the value for the price paid, which is probably not applicable to your situation, since you received a nicely discounted rate)

Furthermore, this hotel is not 3* on Trip Advisor, it's a 3.5*, so it would be impossible to get the Express by Holiday Inn Earls Court.

Star rating are subjective and HOTWIRE uses their own criteria to rate and assign star ratings to hotels, it has nothing to do with the star rating that are found at Tripadvisor (or Expedia, Hotels.com, PRICELINE, or any other website)

Sorry to see you didn't get the hotel you were hoping for, but feel free to ask for help and/or confirmation of our own thoughts as to the hotel you think you may be about to purchase as sometimes a second set of eyes can point out a possibility that you didn't previously consider.

Thanks for sharing the purchase and helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Enjoy your stay... hope it goes better than you are expecting.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The property you purchased has a 3.5/5.0 TA rating, whereas the Express Earls Court currently has a 4.0/5.0 TA rating, so this would have been a clue that this may have been some other property.

How can you see this? I can't even find the hotel on Hotwire. I tried to search for City Continental and Express by Holiday Inn Earls Court, and I don't see those hotel on the regular list.

Star rating are subjective and HOTWIRE uses their own criteria to rate and assign star ratings to hotels, it has nothing to do with the star rating that are found at Tripadvisor (or Expedia, Hotels.com, PRICELINE, or any other website)

Ok, now I understand. So if I find any 3* hotel, this is a Hotwire review and not a TripAdvisor review, right?

How can you see this?

I no longer see this offer on HOTWIRE, but at the time i had posted above, i located the same hotel that you purchased on the 'Hot Rate' side of their service, and when clicking thru in the view section it showed the TA user review rating.

So if I find any 3* hotel, this is a Hotwire review and not a TripAdvisor review, right?

You're combining two different concepts... a hotel's star rating and the user review rating. Let's take for example a budget property that is usually 2 star rating (like a Days Inn or a Rodeway Inn)... these properties are typically 2* rated, but one location may have a very good owner and great customer service, and another location just does the bare minimum. Although both hotels may be 2 star rated, the 'good' one may have a user review rating of 4.0/5.0 whereas the 'lesser' one may have a user review rating of 3.0/5.0.

The star rating that HOTWIRE assigns to a hotel may be less than, greater than, or the same as some other travel site.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]