Priceline Hotel: 4* Cleveland (Downtown) The Westin Cleveland Downtown

frugalgrad
By frugalgrad,
in

Hello, I first came to this board last year for Cleveland hotel help and you all were very...well, helpful :rolleyes:   I ended up saving about $40 over the published lowest rate for a 3 1/2 star downtown Cleveland hotel on a weekend in June.

Now I have another downtown Cleveland hotel question...I've been stalking/bidding on Priceline this week to see if I can get a 4-star hotel for a better price than their Express Deal, which is $97/night and I'm 99% sure is the Westin (where I stayed in November and loved it).  However, of course, I wouldn't mind saving some money, so I've been bidding around $80/night.  Rejections so far.  Today I bid $82 and I got a counter-offer that if I was willing to raise my bid to $104, that would be a winning bid for two nights (my stay date is the first week of March on 2 consecutive weeknights). 

My question: is this for a better-than-4-star hotel, since it's $7 more than their Express Deal for a 4-star hotel?  I didn't think there was anything better than a 4-star hotel in the downtown area (University Circle, yes, but not downtown)?  Or do they want me to bid $104 and I end up getting the Westin for $7 more per night than the Express Deal price?

I'm confused.  Thanks for your help!

Please provide the actual dates of your stay so we can replicate your search and see exactly what it is that you're seeing on the PRICELINE EXPRESS side of their service.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

4* is currently the highest star rated hotel offered in the Downtown zone on PRICELINE.

When PRICELINE gives you a counter-offer on your rejected bid, they are not checking to see the PRICELINE EXPRESS price and making the counter-offer based upon the rate they, they are simply trying to present you with an opportunity to 'buy it now'. With your $82/nite bid rejected, and the counter-offer at $107, you know that the 'right' price is somewhere between $83-$107 (although you wouldn't bid more than $97 based upon the PRICELINE EXPRESS offer)

However, note that there is no assurance that when bidding you will receive the hotel that is currently offered on PRICELINE EXPRESS.

So... how high are you currently willing to bid for any 4* hotel in the Downtown zone and at what price do you take the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal which are guessing is the Westin (a hotel that you're familiar with and would like to return to)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ah, okay!  That makes sense!  I was (wrongly) assuming that the hotel I'd get for bidding their $104 counteroffer is the same one on ExpressDeals.  The Express Deal that I'm pretty certain is the Westin has dropped to $94/night (from $97/night).  Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I had been bidding on and off since last week, staying in the $80-$85 per night range for a 2-night stay on March 2-3, 2015 in Downtown Cleveland.  Last week I got a counter-offer for $104.  Today I got a counter-offer for $99.  The Priceline Express deal that I was 99% sure was the Westin - where I've stayed before and really enjoyed - dropped from $97 last week to $94 today.  It's a month before I go out of town to see a show and I wanted to nail down where I would be staying.  With taxes and fees, I paid $228 for 2 nights - and it was the Westin.  This is a huge savings, given that the prepaid rate with taxes and fees on the Westin site would have been $375.  This is a beautiful hotel with polite and helpful staff, an amazing on-site restaurant with incredible desserts, the nicest hotel gym I've ever seen, Starbucks, and a ridiculously comfortable bed.  This might be my go-to hotel for future visits to Cleveland. 

*Just to clarify, I paid $94 base price per night.  It was $228 total with taxes and fees.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are looking forward to your return visit at this location.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board. Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities that PRICELINE EXPRESS associated with this property and showed before your purchase.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]