Priceline Hotel: Venice, Italy - bidding strategy

gintastic
By gintastic,
in

hey guys --

My wife and I planning a family vacation to Italy in May.  We will be visiting Venice, Florence and Rome.  I have been to these cities already however my parents are coming along and would like to get a "taste" of each city so in the future they can choose which city they want to stay longer.  Currently, we plan on staying in Venice & Florence for 2 nights ea. and 4 nights in Rome.  We are flying directly into VCE so Venice will be 1.5 days (which is fine).  I will create a new thread for each city but i'd like to start with this Venice post.  The dates for Venice is May 16 and check-out on the 18th.  I need 2 rooms or possibly 3 rooms but I understand once I win a bid I can always add more nights as well as the number of rooms.  

Because I am also traveling with my nephew who is 4 years old and with 2 seniors.  I prefer to stay in at least a 4* on the following properties: (1) St. Mark's Square, (2) Rialto bridge area or in (3) Giudecca (if the Hilton Molino Stucky comes out as a better deal).

Any Suggestions?  I am checking with my company travel benefits section today and will start my priceline bids tomorrow.  Any help is helpful!

Thanks!

Please confirm your desired budget per night for this stay. Additionally, if you are going to have more than 2 per room, Hot.wire - where you can indicate the amount of people in the room - may be a better option for this stay.

Lastly, there is no guarantee that you will be able to add nights/rooms.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

hey Aaron -- we will have 6 people total.  so i was assuming 2 rooms with 3 people per room.  

For Venice, our budget can be up to 220 USD per room per night.  If this is not feasible, then I can re-think my strategy to include 3*+.  My friend either used hotwire or priceline long ago when we stayed in Giudecca and i remember paying about $130 /night.  Is this still around the same range or has it gone exponentially higher?

To get started, note that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive room with only one bed in each (a realistic possibility in Europe). While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, HOTWIRE would still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Are you willing to take the occupancy risk of bidding on PRICELINE OR do you prefer to try HOTWIRE where you can search for 2rooms/5adults/1child (or whatever the combination may be)

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we will take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

if you think i can get a room within those areas for under 140/nt per room then i'll get 3 (saves me the hassle then of requesting a room with two beds) -- [i didn't think this wouldve been an inconvenience for a lux hotel?].  it looks like via HOTWIRE 2 rooms with 5 of us will equate to the same, right?  what do you think?  I'm willing to use hotwire as long as the hotel & cost ratio is reasonable.

Thanks!

...we will have 6 people total.

...it looks like via HOTWIRE 2 rooms with 5 of us...

To confirm, exactly how many adults/children will you be in total?

...(saves me the hassle then of requesting a room with two beds) -- [i didn't think this wouldve been an inconvenience for a lux hotel?].

It could be an issue given that it's Europe (just like it could be an issue in NYC)... rooms in both are notoriously small, rooms with double beds are not uncommon, and triple occupancy is often considered an 'upgrade' from standard.

Please confirm the total number of guests so we can evaluate your options and costs thru the various services.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Best price i'm seeing on HOTWIRE for a 4* hotel with 2rooms/5adults/1child is $299 or $1375 all-in (although i haven't yet compared apples-to-apples to see if any guess at this property would also be 4* rated by PRICELINE).

To bid on PRICELINE for 3 rooms this would bring your maximum bid to ~$205/nite. This is a bit higher than your expectations of ~$140/nite above, so are you willing to bid up to $205/nite at this point in time OR do you have some other options which are offered for less and would enable you to lower your maximum bid?

Also, I can bid for 3 star hotels on the san marco area...

Which zone is this that you're referring to (by PRICELINE name) as i don't see any 'San Marco' zone on PRICELINE?

I looked at the "book a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal" and see a 3* for $165 at the San Marco area.  Any idea what this could be?

Please confirm the PRICELINE zone and the full list of amenities that are associated with this offer.

Which zone is this that you're referring to (by PRICELINE name) as i don't see any 'San Marco' zone on PRICELINE?

Sorry 'San Marco' is translated to Saint Mark.  so in Priceline the area is called "Saint Mark Square - Grand Canal"

Please confirm the PRICELINE zone and the full list of amenities that are associated with this offer.

The zone is "Saint Mark Square - Grand Canal" and it only has "Pets Allowed" on the amenities.  It is a 3 star hotel and has a "Guest Rating of 7+ (Good)".

With 'Pets Allowed' being the only amenity showing for this PRICELINE EXPRESS offer i don't have any insight into this one.

Price.line recently sub-divided this area into smaller zones and the Priceline Hotel List needs to be updated with the new zone names/boundaries, which i may be able to get to this weekend depending upon my schedule.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]