Priceline Hotel: NYC 7/12 - 7/19 Bidding Help

olibear
By olibear,
in

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly confident with the bidding system, but haven't had a chance to use it as I've always been happy with Express deals or Hot Wire deals.

I am really keen to get my family a good deal when visiting NYC.

Could someone help with a strategy for

4* or better, preferably Times Square for $150 or less. I can see a few priceline express deals in different areas for less.

Other areas they would stay in are those with would be centrally located, so I'm thinking midtown west, Chelsea area, but really, if it was an excellent deal they would probably take it

The only piece of the bidding puzzle I cant work out is, what zones should be added next when rebidding to avoid ending up in an area which you were only adding for the purposes of rebidding!?

Amenities are not really important, but breakfast included would be a bonus, but essentially looking for a place to leave clothes, get washed and sleep!

Thanks in advance

The only piece of the bidding puzzle I cant work out is, what zones should be added next when rebidding to avoid ending up in an area which you were only adding for the purposes of rebidding!?

Amenities are not really important, but breakfast included would be a bonus, but essentially looking for a place to leave clothes, get washed and sleep!

There is a good discussion of free rebidding in "General Priceline Tips" and then "Bidding Again before 24 hours" in that.  

It is vital one learn to do it oneself.  It needs to always be done JUST before each bidding session, as things change.  Rather than relying on a list from someone else that may be outdated, even if it is only a day or a few hours old.

The order in which the free rebid zones are added doesn't make any difference.  All that is important is that they indeed DO NOT have bidding availability at the star level one is bidding, OR HIGHER.

At the moment, there are three free rebid zones for New York when bidding at the 4* level.  If you post back with the ones you think they are, somebody here will double-check your list.

When bidding on Priceline, there is no way to select for amenities like breakfast.  It is more often offered at the lower star level hotels, and unusual at the higher star level hotels.  Airport hotels are somewhat more likely to offer it.  

Romelle

So my bid strategy

Choose 4* and Times Square

Bid

If unsuccessful, add area with no 4*, rebid

Repeat

List of zones with no 4* in area are

Brooklyn

Chelsea

Hells Kitchen

Queensborough Bridge

Upper East Side (Could only give us a 5*)

Is it possible to do

Time Square + Brooklyn then

Times Square + Chelsea then

Times Square + Brooklyn + Chelsea

And use every combination off the different areas?

FIRST: your re-bid zones/strategy is wrong, DO NOT bid until we have discussed re-bidding and confirmed your re-bid zones (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained for the correct method to determine your re-bid zones)

Second, let's back-up and get organized...

You currently have three open threads for NYC:

1) this one (apparently for 7/12-7/19)

2) THIS ONE

3) ANOTHER ONE

Are the dates of all of the stays from 7/12-7/19?

Do you intend to stay at a different hotel than the rest of your family?

Let us know which topics (referenced by numbers 1,2,3 above) are part of the same 4 room purchase and which (if any) are a separate 1 room purchase... we will then merge/separate threads as needed and respond accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Maybe name the different stays, including combining when you will be bidding more than one room for same dates but two different set of people?

Example:

Stay #1  (bidding one room - Aunt A & Uncle B ) 2/6/15-2/10/15  - 4 nights

Stay #2  (bidding two rooms - Aunt M & Uncle G plus Great Aunt R)  2/5/15-2/10/15  - 5 nights 

Stay #3 (bidding one room - Mine) 2/4/15-2/10/15 - 6 nights

Stay #4 - is there a 4th?

(Note the differences in the stay dates and total nights above.)

Then each thread can contain detail just for a particular Stay #.  

Romelle

PS - it usually takes people a run or two at the whole idea of free rebidding before it completely makes sense.  There still are only 3 available free zones, and I think you missed in my last  "... bidding availability".  Not what you see listed in the Hotel Lists on this site, but rather which zones Priceline will let you bid when you are on Priceline.

You currently have three open threads for NYC:

1) this one (apparently for 7/12-7/19)

2) THIS ONE

3) ANOTHER ONE

#1 --> is the request above part of #2 OR a separate/additional booking? If separate, please confirm the dates and number of rooms needed.

#2 --> your family booking and need 4 rooms

#3 --> is THIS THREAD the same as #1 or #2, or yet another additional booking?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think, given that it's not a personal booking, perhaps using the PRICELINE EXPRESS deal will be simpler and less hassle!

olibear,

I hope you choose to take another run at bidding some other time.  It can admittedly be a bit complicated, but through using it I've either saved lots of money or gotten to stay at much nicer places for the same money.  

Besides, it is kind of fun.  I like the whole "SURPRISE!" thing when I finally get a successful bid.  It is about as close to gambling as I'll ever come.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]